Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Q: ea82 front rooters on ea81

didn't come up with much in the way of results.... found a thread carfreak started, Wonder if he's had any luck. Anyway anyone else experienced doign that conversion? I hope it's mostly bolt in, cause I heard from austin that the ea81 rooters are so thin that they always easily warp, and mine are warped, and I saw the ea82's vs the ea81's, and I really feel safer if I can to throw the ea82's on there with calipers and new break pads... my breaks are pretty much metal to metal, passenger side is currently eating away at the rivits... driver's side is almost there.:cool:

The axle shafts are different, and the hub's are different depth. You can do it if you swap out the front suspension to an EA82 style. But you have to use the knuckles, lower control arms, and axles from an EA82 (maybe some other stuff??), and weld the correct mounting points to the cross member for the control arms. Miles Fox has done it - I would ask him about it.

GD

I can tell you for certain that the EA82 type caliper, will not, and cannot, bolt directly onto the EA81 steering knuckle, the bolt spacing is different. The hub however will fit onto the spindle together with the rotor, as the total rotor depth for the EA82 cars is shallower than the EA81 type. You can use the EA82 rotors and calipers providing you get an adaptor plate machined, but that would be expensive.