Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 Brat SubaRude

ironworkerboomer

From purchase to present 2010 Oklahoma $800 you can she her in front of the Baja

Oklahomaweekend003.jpg

Fort worth and tear down for HG 

Bratteardown003.jpg

cody001.jpg

tire upgrade to nissan

4-5-12003.jpg

4-5-12004.jpg

Idaho 2014 HG failed tear down motor swap weber swap

434.jpg

440.jpg

Idaho to California 2014

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

WelderUP 

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Gas tank is nasty inside and out OKIE red dirt everywhere but no rust 

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

So that's to date, we are getting ready for a Calico camping trip in December so I have a lot of things to get done. Photos will continue as work progresses.  

Edited by ironworkerboomer
  • Like 2

I don't think i've ever seen someone cut wheel centers out and weld them into another wheel before, holy crap. I love the pics of the kids with the car stuff, reminds me of my 3 year old Gage he wants to help with everything which is good...and bad haha. Great looking BRAT and Baja by the way!

I don't think I've ever seen someone cut wheel centers out and weld them into another wheel before, holy crap. I love the pics of the kids with the car stuff, reminds me of my 3 year old Gage he wants to help with everything which is good...and bad haha. Great looking BRAT and Baja by the way!

Same center on wheel just changed the back spacing. Cody is always helping some times it takes three times as long but always getting better. And he is learning how to do it on his own. Already talking about his Brat he is going to get. He likes 2nd Gen, well you cant win em all ;)

Thats one of my favs for color on a brat... More pics please and any of the interior as well. Great score!!!

interior is pretty bad but ill get some 

Gas tank was seriously nasty with rust on the inside. It wasn't as noticeable when wet. Getting ready for Calico desert trip I wanted to clean it up while I can get it out easy. Tried to rinse and dump but it was too far gone. I'm thinking of making my own fuel cell, but not enough time. So a serious boil out, and see what happens. Muriatic Acid and hot water, with 6000 BB's for the scrubbing agent. Then used baking soda and water to rinse. Bottle of heat to get any remaining moister out the next day.

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

Happy with the outcome

IMG_1353.jpg

all back in. Used three coats Cold Galvanize to finish.

IMG_1358.jpg

Disclaimer:

I am not advocating you do this! I have been properly trained in the safe handling of toxic chemicals. Very dangerous products were used! all PPE was used. No  animals, environment, or feelings were harmed during this process. And an ice cold Coors lite was on hand to dilute any contact with skin, if it should occur. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I used a piece of pipe and an old hub, welded pipe to the main pipe to support the rim with the back spacing I wanted measure about a hundred time and welderup.

What was the reason for doing it that way and not just using a standard 6 lug wheel?

What was the reason for doing it that way and not just using a standard 6 lug wheel?

This is a standard 6 lug wheel, and as most of them the back spacing is too tight to the inside. I got the rims and tires super cheap  So I cut and moved to the spacing I needed.

This is a standard 6 lug wheel, and as most of them the back spacing is too tight to the inside. I got the rims and tires super cheap  So I cut and moved to the spacing I needed.

I guess I still don't understand.  You had to much negative offset?  The wheel stuck out too much?

I guess I still don't understand.  You had to much negative offset?  The wheel stuck out too much?

No the rims I wanted were steel wheel 14 inch. every one I fit was to tight, rubbed on the torsion arm. Now 15 inch rims seemed to stick out alot more but I was stuck on the 14's. So I just made what I could find fit.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Subarude has been neglected most of the winter needs major brake work. A guy just pulled into my driveway today with a car trailer and tried to buy her, I just told him she’s worth more than money.  But it’s shameful of me to let her sit so I need to make room in my crazy life to get her back to running and stopping asap