Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Addon for the Wagon & a TON of work to do before Memorial Day.

So I have a big camping trip at the end of this month for memorial day. Its a wheeling endevor with a couple jeepers and their toyota friends. My wagon is still down right now after its last trip to Oregon. It'll need 2 new front axles and the carburator needs to be rebuilt as well.

Today I found an LSD in the junkyard and picked it up. Of course I'm going to want to have this in the wagon for the trip, but i'll need to convert it. Its a good thing I have a spare 3.9 diff to use, but what I dont have is time. Between now and the 29th I'll probably have a collective 72 hours of free time to work on the wagon. And that's if I can get the '78 running and out of the garage (what I get to do tomorrow).

-Brian

You are better of with a welded diff, LSDs arent' all they are cracked up to be for wheeling. They won't help you if you get a wheel completely off the ground.

That said, if you are going to convert it, just put the LSD carrier in the non-LSD housing with the 3.90 gears. Do not try to just swap ring gears, the ring and pinion are a matched set and are not swappable! You will have to grind a little of the case out for the bolts to clear, but it is doable. You will have to remove the carrier bearing holders, do not mix them up and do not swap the shims between sides!

I have a spare 3.90 diff, I'll weld it and trade you that + maybe some cash for that LSD :-)

sleep is for the weak! :) hahaha

If I end up selling it, i'd be forced to sell it for pure profit. That most likely wont happen, as I REALLY want this LSD in my car. I dont need a welded diff... i had one, and it was great! until it broke (my bad). I also dont really want to be toting around a bunch of rear Axles just waiting for one to break.

The LSD will make it easier, and give me more traction which is what im after. I have a good 3.9 to use, and i read Ken's article on swapping the gears... looks pretty simple. Are there any special tools I'll need?

-Brian

Sweet, thanks. Now that i have the pnumatic tools, i might as well get the right tools for the job. I scored yet again today at the yard. Found a Fully Loaded '83 GL Wagon, with a set of perfect velour seats. Its still 1/2 price weekend, and i got a smokin deal on them.

-Brian

yeah brian,

when your all done with yours, come on down and wrench with me HA HA HA!

been thinkin of the same 3.9 into my 3.7LSD....

wanna do them together??

got the Weber on, hope I plumbed it right, gonna fire it up tonite!

if your up by Thunder Hill raceway (Willows) over Memorial Day weekend,

stop by, we're racing the euro vintage trash....

-shanonsf

W00T!! Got off my rump roast and moved some cars around. I tried to repair the '78s bad CV, but when i removed the broken stub, the Bearing came out with it :(

So I ended up putting another CV in as a temp fix, w/out the inner bearing. I rolled the 78 out of the garage to put the '84 in.

Now that the '84 is in, i'll need to dissasemble the front end. Im thinking of pulling the carb tonight, and tomorrow pull the CV's and lower control arms off. They'll all need to be replaced. While im at it, i'll be checking all the lift bolts.

Now that i have pnumatic tools, should make it alot easier :)

-Brian