Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Cable EA81

Ok so my brand new clutch cable that i put in about 2,750-3,500mi ago just snapped the other day and put the Blue Bandit (1984 GL Wagon) out of commision until I can get a new one.  :banghead:  :(  Obviously I had that one too tight so I was wondering about how much give should the new cable have? I have heard about 1/2 an inch but wanted you alls opinion. Thanks

Got to agree on the "cheap cable".

Proper free play adjustment from the FSM says;

13-20 mm (.51-.79 in.) measured at the pedal,

2-3mm (.08-.12 in.) measured at the fork/cable attachment point, with 17-18mm (.67-.71in.) of full travel.

I've always held a tape measurer against the seat and hook the free end to the pedal. Then push on pedal by hand until I feel the resistance, then note the amount it moved..

Never measured it at the fork.

• Like 1

I bought a cheap, after market clutch cable and mine lasted about the same as yours.  2nd one I ordered from Subaru dealer and it has been in there for 7 years.

Funny you should say that. Because this last cable that I had in it was an aftermarket cable by Pioneer Cables from O'reilly's. I just ordered my new one form subaru so that makes me happy. thanks all for the info. helped a lot!

Make sure the new cable is routed propely UNDER the steering column.

I always measure for about 2mm of slack at the fork.  Gotta pull the cable end and push on the fork to get a full measure.

On my wheeler with EJ22 and 30's I set it with even more play.  And I treat it basically like a switch....in or out.......never slipping or "riding"  I put it in gear with minimal light throttle and drop.  I don't apply any real amount of throttle until the clutch is fully released and engine/trans are coupled and the rig moving.......THEN i gas it and accelerate.

Same thing between gears.......Off throttle or light throttle (just to keep RPMs matched to next gear) until clutch pedal is released and engine trans/coupled.......no slipping or accelerating in the middle of the shift.