Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help on grounding Fog Lights on GF8 '98 Impreza. Pics of bracket I made for License plate mount.

I came into possession of a pair of Harbor Freight Specials, they were basically free to me, and the mount I made for them actually cost slightly more!

I have them mounted, but need to ground them before I try wiring them up. The only place I can see is the solid metal member/bar going through the lower part of the front bumper. I had a chat with a Subie service rep, he suggested drilling into the back of the member to screw in a place for the ground.

Back or bottom, a drill is not getting into there without removing the bumper. If I removed the radiator, I could get to the back of that member, but I'm looking for any viable alternatives.

The member has some half inch holes already punched in the back, maybe I could file away at one of those and get some sort of mount for the ground?

Here's pictures of the ongoing project, I had sealed the glass to the cheap rubber seals with some silicone adhesive.

http://postimg.org/gallery/1kzfuzjc0/

I just thought I should stick with the shortest possible grounds... that would mean extended the 4 inch ground wire to about 18-24inches

There's nothing wrong with using a longer ground wire for lighting. Use a slightly larger wire and you can ground them in the trunk if you have to. This isn't a 500w amplifier, its two fog lights that might draw 10-12 amps at the most. 2 feet of 14awg wire isn't going to have enough internal resistance to even think twice about here.

Braided ground strapping will NOT be a benefit in this case. Braided straps are primarily useful for grounding body panels in order to direct RFI and EMI away from sensor signal wiring.

They're flexible enough to be used to ground the hood or trunk to the main body, or to ground the body/cab to the frame of a truck without breaking like a typical stranded wire would.

Braided straps will corrode over time, and will become a source of high impedance in the circuit.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

There's nothing wrong with using a longer ground wire for lighting. Use a slightly larger wire and you can ground them in the trunk if you have to. This isn't a 500w amplifier, its two fog lights that might draw 10-12 amps at the most. 2 feet of 14awg wire isn't going to have enough internal resistance to even think twice about here.

Braided ground strapping will NOT be a benefit in this case. Braided straps are primarily useful for grounding body panels in order to direct RFI and EMI away from sensor signal wiring.

They're flexible enough to be used to ground the hood or trunk to the main body, or to ground the body/cab to the frame of a truck without breaking like a typical stranded wire would.

Braided straps will corrode over time, and will become a source of high impedance in the circuit.

Thanks for explaining the wizardry of circuitry! All jokes aside, I had no idea, but do of what can go wrong.

Sounds like I've got some work to do this weekend.