Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did a little searching around and I couldn't find anything conclusive.

Will a hitch from a 02-04 Impreza fit an 03-05 Forester? I know they are built on the same chassis, but I'm wondering about clearance on the bumper, exhaust, etc. I would just try it and see if it fits, but it is an hour away from me and I'd rather not waste the time if someone knows.

I recently lifted my Forester and now putting the bikes on the roof is a HUGE pain. If I can get a hitch cheaply, I can overcome my vertical challenge.

Thanks!

jmoss5723,

There are no responses since no body has tried to do it before. If you have access to welding equipment, etc., go for it since you'll be able to modify it to fit cheaply if you know what you're doing.

Otherwise, buy the correct model that fits your car. It'll save you a lot of headaches trying to mount it, because you know it'll fit. Then there is the safety factor that hacking a hitch up doesn't give you. Can you really afford the lawsuit that a failed hitch caused the deaths of someone in the car behind you may bring?

Edited by gbhrps

jmoss5723,

There are no responses since no body has tried to do it before. If you have access to welding equipment, etc., go for it since you'll be able to modify it to fit cheaply if you know what you're doing.

I figure it is far more likely that no one who has done it saw my post. It isn't THAT wild of an idea. But I know that non-stop bumping a thread is annoying, so I said "just ONE bump."

Sorry I asked a question in hopes I might be able to save a buck by getting a hitch on craigslist. If I have to, I'm happy to buy a new one that fits my car. I could modify the impreza hitch if necessary, but it isn't worth the hassle.