Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who is the best head builder

I would have to just repeat the same thing.  The aircraft guys know these engines inside and out, and even have gone as far as to create brand new head castings with dual intake ports, dual spark plugs and port/direct injection bosses.

The Flygas heads from Italy run over $2k per pair, but you still have to figure out the dual spark plugs, intake manifold, coolant crossover tube, etc., etc.  They claim 110HP and up to 125HP with their special camshaft.  Add a supercahrger and they claim their engines will make 100HP/L.

If that is too expensive, any quality engine builder will be able to open up your heads a bit weather or not they work on Subarus.  Nobody runs a business that builds hotrod EA engines, unless you look at aircraft parts.  They probalby won't get the max performance from your heads, but they are an improvement.

A third alternative is to find some cheap carby EA81 heads and use them to practice porting.  Once you feel comfortable, try porting your EA81T heads.

Sure, lots of people.  I would contact RAM for some referrals because almost nobody on this board has ever worked with them.  The problem is that these old Subarus are cheap to buy and run and that attacts a certain type of buyer.  Those buyers generally aren't interested in spending big money on a cheap old car.

If you do end up with RAM, I'd love to check out their work when your project is finished.  I've always wanted an aircraft engine in my wagon.

I talked to action machine about getting head work and they said they could but asked why because the net gains are so small. They claimed cam work would be more worth my time. Delta cam used to do the heads i believe. You could talk to them. They do good cam work.

Here is a copy of my email from RAM  info@ramengines.com

Minimum Valve Job for a pair is $235. and that is if everything is good to use. 

Recommended head work:  cost for this $700. pr.

1. Tank and blast
2. 5 angle valve job 
3. install our bronze guides
4. install our larger SS valves
5. Our upgrade springs
6. Mill to flatten heads

Port and Polish:
Stage 1 $300 port match and bowl, 
Stage 2 $450 stage1 plus flow equalizing,
Stage 3 $800. Full port and flow.

Here is a copy of my email from RAM  info@ramengines.com

Minimum Valve Job for a pair is $235. and that is if everything is good to use. 

Recommended head work:  cost for this $700. pr.

1. Tank and blast
2. 5 angle valve job 
3. install our bronze guides
4. install our larger SS valves
5. Our upgrade springs
6. Mill to flatten heads

Port and Polish:
Stage 1 $300 port match and bowl, 
Stage 2 $450 stage1 plus flow equalizing,
Stage 3 $800. Full port and flow.

Groovy, can they provide you with examples of a before and after? If they had happened to have a clip, I'm sure it would be worthwhile.

Also, anyone recognize this engine they have posted? 000_0006%281%29.jpg

EZ30 or EZ33? I can't think of any other economical flat 6 they'd use, save for an aero-sourced build.

Edited by SnatchedHatch

I thought that the Flygas heads Were Outrageously priced but to get a crem-de-la-crem head from RAM is like going to 3rd Base and not going Home.

$1500 for a head modified for performance.

or

$2000 for a head cast for performance.

Hmmmm.....