Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No snow yet here in Northern/ Central VA, but as I noticed my 2014 Impreza being a little squirmy going over a small patch of ice today, I got to wondering if the newer model Subaru's with CVT are as good in the snow as older Subaru's with the 4EAT automatic or 5MT manual equipped cars (I have one of each of those).

I plan to use the paddle shifters to downshift (like a manual transmission) to better slow the car down without using brakes on ice and snow, but do the CVT equipped cars handle in snow as compared to the older cars?

We also have a fairly steep driveway that goes uphill to the road. If it snows, you need 4WD or AWD to get out (should I assume my new Impreza will have no trouble)?

Stevo F,

I've had 4 OBW LTD's since 1997, one of every generation, the first 3 automatics and the present 2012 a CVT.

In every case I've had a second set of wheels mounted with the best ice grip snow tires I could buy ... and the cars were unstoppable in winter weather. I did, however, change the winter tire size and opt for a size two sizes narrower. For the 2012 that means a 205 instead of the stock 225 width. The narrower tire cuts through the snow as opposed to riding up on the snow at higher speeds. It works for the winter ralley cars and works just as well for daily driving.

The 04 OBW I let myself be talked into the same stock tire size when the snows were put on. That setup was a nightmare and I swapped the snow tires and went to a set two sizes smaller within the month. What a difference the narrower tires made.

As for the CVT ... I can see no difference on ice or snow between it and the previous automatics I've owned. It works just as well, but gives better fuel mileage, dry, wet, snow or ice.