Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy NO 3rd or 4th gear

Hello All !
I just bought a 92 Legacy wagon awd automatic with 163k miles. Shifts from 1st to 2nd just fine, but NO noticeable attempt to up shift to 3rd or 4th. Tried manual shifting with no difference. Fluid level, (car/trans warm, level, running, in park), is correct and "new" looking, (suspiciously, although the seller said the tranny shifted perfect when parked 8 months ago). 

Also, I have 4 codes; 22, 51, 52 and a "33", being the code I would think to be concerned with.

After reading through the threads, the only identical problem I found, on a '93 Loyale ( http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/121174-93-loyale-automatic-transmission-3at-wont-shift/?hl=%2Bshifting+%2Bproblem ),  had a SOLUTION related to a bad Modulator and vacuum line issues, which I will check shortly here. (If it matters, I did take it up to 6k rpm with no change). 

Are there any other known problems that can cause only 3rd and 4th to be 'gone' ?

Also, a simple code clearing, (I forgot how, lol), procedure would be great! (black and green connectors were found still 'connected' under the dash? hmmm?) 

Thanks a bunch, G

P.S. I have another perfect running 92 awd to use for test part swapping if needed. 

Edited by subidoo

to clear codes, simply disconnect battery for 30 minutes or so - also make sure the test connectors are disconnected before reconnecting the battery.

as for the tranny issues - I am not much help there - hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon

I can say that the 4EAT will not shift to 3rd or 4th until certain temps are reached internally - one temp for 3rd, another for 4th - and the time needed to reach those temps will vary with how cold ambient air temps are. Have had both my 1990 and my 1995 Legacys need several miles to get warm enough to make those shifts in the dead of winter - one time it took nearly 6 miles for the final shift to happen.

Thank you for the last few recent posts. (I was gone for a few days). I will attempt another test run tomorrow for several miles, perhaps 10 or so in 50 degree weather should be enough. As for codes or blinking power light, I have none. I did call a local transmission shop that specializes in Subarus. Basically, they told me there is nothing I can do and needs a rebuild, $1,600.00. Ugh!

if you need to replace the tranny, try car-part.com

you should be able to source a good used tranny for a couple hundred bucks - labor for the install is the expensive part if not doing it yourself.

also, as a side note: if you do replace the tranny, reseal the oil separator plate on the back of the motor with anarobic or ultra grey while it is accessible before installing the replacement. 92 should have the good cast alloy plate, not the plastic one, so it is simply a reseal, no need to replace it.

Thank You.  As I had mentioned earlier I do have a 2nd 92 Legacy with a good transmission to swap with, but I really didn't want to do the work! (lol, the old back is not too happy these days). Also, I did have a code 33 once, (speed sensor), then I cleared it and it has not returned, yet. Wondering if this can cause the 'no 3rd or 4th' problem, or did the 'problem' cause the code?

Lastly, if there is an awd automatic Legacy 'EZ Tranny Swap Guide for Dummies', it would be cool to breeze through it!

Thanks Again !!!

Crap! I am studying up on swapping transmissions between my 2 subis, (2 removals, 2 replacements, a 1-car small bay to work in, ugh!), and my gut is telling me it is something simple, like a bad solenoid or something. I am tempted to drop the pans on both and take the solenoids from the good tranny and try them in the bad one - much easier than two tranny jobs!

Anyone hear of a bad solenoid that can keep these trannys from shifting into 3rd or 4th?

If so, which ones and location?

I soooo hope the problem is something simple !!!

Edited by subidoo

• 2 weeks later...