Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new parts= purrs like a kitten

I've put about 15K on my Brat since I bought it from down south (thanks again, Richie) 10 months ago. Put new plugs, dist cap and rotor, a new Accel coil, and new air filter in it yesterday. It purrs just like a contented kitten. Amazing what $70 in parts will do. I can hardly wait ti see what the gas mileage will look like.

Strangely enough, Brats were only rated at 24-28 MPG. I have been on the high end of that lately after some carb rebuilding. I suspect that close to 30 might be possible with a light foot, and some more tweaking. My whole ign. system is 140k miles old, and my idle is a bit rough from that. And I have some strange "goo" in the drivers side valve cover that looks like water+oil, but hasn't effected the engine much other than a really, really slow loss of coolant.

GD

I have always found the basic tune up can't be beat for making your old Subie run better.

It's never anything serious, just the basics and it always makes it run better!

I have always maintained a cap and rotor will cure anything on my old Subie!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

On Lepetitprince's brat he failed emissions. After changing the oil/filter, fuel filters, plugs, wires, PCV valve and air filter and a new gas cap, it passed with flying colors! My turbo wagon was bought at an auction with an unknowen history and passed emissions without any work the first time! Its amazing how simple these cars are to run! simple little things make the biggest difference in the world!

Yeah - some of them are. Then there's ones like my Brat - must have been built on a Monday. Only has 130k, and took 5 trys to get through emmissions. I've replaced the carb, the y-pipe, the muffler, and now the rest of the exhuast has to go as it has holes too. At some point in it's life it was broken into (shattered glass in the doors), and the alarm system was installed incorrectly screwing up the wireing to this day. There is still an intermittant short in one of the tail lights that I can't find, there's water+oil goo in the drivers valve cover, and I have to top up the coolant once a month. Besides all that it got t-boned before I bought it so it needs body work on the drivers side of the bed, and they replaced the bumper with an ugly hitch. :banghead:

My wagon has 164k, and I think the only major problem I've had was the disty bushing. Other than that - even after numerous trips off road, it's still in top running order.

The poor thing has just been abused I suppose, but at least it will still be worth more than I have into it when the restoration is done.

GD