Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2008 Subaru legacy limited 2.5L AT. I'm planning on draining the transmission fluid and adding new stuff

http://www.amazon.com/SUBARU-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-FLUID-BOTTLE/dp/B00FA2AD5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1416421234&sr=1-1&keywords=subaru+atf

What I can't figure out is how much Fluid I would need to buy in order to satisfy the tank. I can't find in the manual how much the capacity is or online at the current moment, it only tells me how to check the levels and what brads to buy, maybe I keep skipping over it, if so I apologize for wasting time with said question. I was wondering if anyone could tell me?

Greatly Appreciated 

1. Lift up the vehicle.

2. Remove the drain plug (ATF) and completely drain the ATF.

CAUTION:

Directly after the vehicle has been running or the engine has been long idle running, the ATF is hot. Be careful not to burn yourself.

3. Check the condition of ATF. btn_link.gif

4. Perform replacement with a new gasket, and tighten the drain plug (ATF).

Tightening torque:

25 N·m (2.5 kgf-m, 18.4 ft-lb)

at-01332.png

(A)

Oil pan

(B)

Drain plug (ATF)

5. Lower the vehicle.

6. Pour ATF from the oil charge pipe.

Recommended ATF:

btn_link.gif

Capacity:

Refill with the same amount of ATF drained from the drain plug hole.

Capacity when transmission is overhauled:

2.0 L model

8.4 — 8.7 L (8.9 — 9.2 US qt, 7.4 — 7.7 Imp qt)

2.5 L model

9.3 — 9.6 L (9.8 — 10.1 US qt, 8.2 — 8.4 Imp qt)

7. Bleed the air of control valve.

btn_link.gif

8. Check the level and leaks of ATF.

the above excerpt is from jdmfsm.info a wonderful resource for out cars and many more

BTW does anyone know what year subaru started using CVT tranmssions? if you have a CVT Constantly Variable Transmission YOU SHOULD NEVER USE subaruHP or STANDARD ATF!!!!!!!!!!

CVT's use their own type of fluid that should be changed much more regularly than the manufacturer states!

my friend asked me to service his honda civic hybrid with a CVT and his (clear) cvt fluid came out blacker than his engine oil! it hadn't been changed because its a "lifetime" fluid..... but very much needed to be and the car drove better after changing it. 

Edited by bluedotsnow