Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I and another member's 2010+ Outback has burned oil. Found some more information, anyother members w/similar complaints?

• 1 year later...

Slight update,

my family's Outback was taken in for "Oil Consumption Assessment/testing".

I'll post more details when available, namely what in the world they'll have to say to mitigate... no, euphemise the situation ^_^ .

Any update from there?  My 2013 Outback is using oil, they said I need an appointment for the oil consumption test and then they sent me info on the class action suit. I'm trying to figure out how to proceed.  Maybe it't better to just trade in now.

Oil consumption test is done with a fresh engine usually. You get the test initiated, drive until the low oil light comes on and go back. Low oil light is 1 quart low. Subaru has a 1,200 mile threshold for oil usage. If its over 1,200 miles they call it ok. If its less they short or long block it depending. My mom had her 2012 Impreza done and it went from 1qt in 700 miles to zero usage. It dropped from a 1,200 mile usage quickly

Oil consumption test is done with a fresh engine usually. You get the test initiated, drive until the low oil light comes on and go back. Low oil light is 1 quart low. Subaru has a 1,200 mile threshold for oil usage. If its over 1,200 miles they call it ok. If its less they short or long block it depending. My mom had her 2012 Impreza done and it went from 1qt in 700 miles to zero usage. It dropped from a 1,200 mile usage quickly

Thanks for the response.  If it is more than 1 qt/1200 mi, is that a cost they pick up right away or do I have to wait for this litigation to be done?

Any Idea of the cost of repair?

I wonder if using different weights and different oils would slow this down.

Check this:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/52080-3-6-owners-does-your-car-burn-oil-between-oil-changes.html

44% = Oil level stayed the same for 7500miles

29% = Quart about every 3k

6% = Quart or more every 1.5k

19% = Less than a quart

Those numbers are going to be consistent through out. I really don't see the issue in dumping a quart of oil in every 3k, its maintenance. I think these people are like most of the world, I just wanna ride my car till the wheels fall off. Don't care if it doesn't last 10 years. I do understand the argument that its a new car and shouldn't be burning oil, a quart every 3k who really cares? Is that $7 synthetic bottle going to brake the bank? I don't think so.

Interesting.

I had a similar issue with my Audi A4 back in 2010. The harder I drove it, the more oil it burned. When I drove it hoping to get good gas mileage and on long trips I didnt burn a quart in 4k miles....But when I drove it like I stole it (pardon the expression) It would burn a quart every thousand miles. 

I ended up just driving it easier and living with it.