Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 1983 DL, 5mt.

With good maintenance, you can expect 300,000 + miles out of it.

Congratulations on the acquisition, but we really really like pictures here. Care to share?

Do the important things right now, change the oil even if it looks clean, check and replace any cracked belts, cooling hoses that look old and soft, etc.

Oh. Shoot. LOL.  I will post a photograph of her tomorrow.  As well as a photograph of my first question Which can wait until tomorrow when there is light outside.

Oil was just changed.  After seeing the amount of corrosion on the old battery I bought a brand new battery as a precaution as the old one had been put in back in 2007.

Also bought the Haynes 1600 manual for her.  But I am sure I will have a  ton of questions as this will the first manual I've ever owned and I intend to memorize this subaru from top to bottom. . :) (I'm more of a human mechanic than a car mechanic -  Medical provider here.)

Thank you in advance for answering my questions in the future. :)

• Like 1

Good call on the battery, it was probably going to fail soon anyway, and now you have side lined any chance of a falling battery damaging your alternator (that can happen sometimes).

Good move on getting the Haynes manual too, while not perfect, it is a great resource.

The main thing to worry about with these vehicles is body and frame rust. If you intend to keep the car for awhile, try to add the very least localize any rust spots by treating them with a rusty inhibiting paint to at least slow it's progress.

If possible cut it away and repair it.

Most of all, enjoy it! Go for a drive and wave to other people driving old quirky cars. It's a treat!

NICE!! so is it a 4x4? I know the DL usually are not, but it has a 5MT?

thats strange for an 83 right? thought they were 4 speeds. but if it has the 1.6L I could see that being an option??

anyone?

83 w/ 5spd will be a FWD.....also 1.6 means it's FWD in 83 too.