Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy Auto Trans R&R Help needed in South WI

A fiend has a 96 Legacy Auto I sold to him years ago.  The Auto Trans just started acting up, vibration during acceleration and the Parking pawl is no longer holding.

200K miles or so.  So  he is looking for a good Subaru Mechanic in Wisconsin who will not take him to the cleaners.  

I guess the rear clutch extension shaft could have sheared off or the parking pawl broke.  

Used Trans may be the way to go.

Lmdew2@gmail.com

Thanks, Larry

I would pop that tail section off before swapping the whole trans! the gear that the pawl holds on to does sheer (never for me) but your vibration and pawl problem could be simply from that! once you have the tail section off you can see and reset the pawl as well as slide the shaft and gear assembly out and slide a new one in just that easy (make sure its seated all the way) 

from the pawl gear you should be able to turn the front wheels

if you need any advice on how to service the tail section I can help i have work on more than I can count. 

BTW its not the rear clutch extension that commonly breaks its the gear interlocking with the pawl!