Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just purchased a 2003 Subaru Baja

Hello all,

I just purchased a Silver 2003 Subaru Baja 5 Speed (non turbo). I got a great deal on it and it only has 69K miles. I have a few questions and was hoping the subie experts can help me out. 

1) Do the 2003 2.5L Engines have head gasket problems? If so, should I keep on eye on it/ when should I get it replaced? How many miles?

2) I am looking for a Bed Cover and or Cap- Thoughts on these or best place to find them on the east coast.

3) Brush Guard- I am also looking for a smaller brush guard. Is there a specific one that you recommend /  how hard is the installation? Does it require welding?

4) Are there any other known issues with the first gen Baja that I need to know about? 

This is my my first 2K Subie- I am used to wrenching on the Brat (EA81), so any help on these newer gens are greatly appreciated. 

millhouse,

As suggested, the usual headgasket problems on that generation Subie ended up being minor coolant leaks on the outside of the heads. You smelled it, but it usually didn't end up on the ground under the car. Subie came up with a coolant additive that helped to prevent the problem. Go see a dealer and get it some. My 04 developed the issue, the dealership pulled the heads, did the gaskets, added the coolant, all in the first year of ownership under warranty. No more problem.

As for the brush bar, try this:        http://www.carid.com/grill-guards.html

My used 03 Baja I purchased in March of 06 had just under 30,000 miles. By 50,000 miles or less the tell tell signs of head gasket failure was

present. Constant hot leaking coolant smell although no puddles under the car. Although I had purchased a extended warranty the dealer was

only willing to add the Subaru approved additive to repair the seepage. It did improve, but within another 10,000 miles oil seepage was present

as well, dripping on the exhaust manifold. How convenient for the dealer that they only concluded the car need a new head gasket after the

warranty expired. I told them no thanks and never took the car back for my routine service. Finally had the hg replaced around 100,000 miles.

Now at 117,000 miles having serious overheating issues. Car is the shop now awaiting a diagnosis. Most everything has been eliminated.

Most advising a blow head gasket. Keep a close check on your brakes too. My goes through brake pads faster than anything I've ever driven.

Strange too the rear brakes wear out before the front. Despite the issues and repair expenses I've had with the Baja. It has always driven good,

been comfortable, reasonably quiet on the road and whether rain slick roads or deep snow it goes. 

Thank you all for the comments. 

To be honest, after driving it for about a week, I can certainly smell some burning, but nothing crazy.. very faint. I am looking to drive this on a 1200 mile (round trip) visit for Thanksgiving.

I am not sure that I will have enough time to get this Head Gasket finished before my trip. You think its safe to make the drive? Can I just bring some coolant with me and keep a close eye on it?

Thanks,

Millhouse