Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Battery drain from PCM in radio a/c unit?

Hello Subaru friends. 

I haven't posted here for awhile because most car issues have been pretty straight forward for me.  I have come across a new one though.  Over the past two years I have had to replace my battery three times.  On this latest trip to firestone they offered to do a a parasitic draw test because I am continuing to have to jump my car.  If the car sits for more than a day I have a dead battery and in Mn that is not a situation one wants to deal with in these upcoming months.  

I drive a 2005 outback 2.5 I .  The guys at firestone determined that the draw is at about 400miliamps which is much higher than the 70 the car can manage without draining the battery.  I've been told they found there is an open loop coming from the back of the a/c cdplayer/radio unit  which in this model car is all one unit so I lose a/c and heat if I try to take out just the radio.  Offered to get me a reconditioned unit for roughly $580 with install it would be 692.00 out the door.  

So my questions for you experts are these:

Is it difficult to install a used radio cd/player?  (I've seen units on ebay for anywhere from 40-195)  If I do this on my own what is the likelihood that I need to do some kind of Programming to the car CPU?

How safely realistic is it to simply detach the negative cable from the battery to avoid the drain?

What are other options or situations I may need to be aware of?

Thanks I appreciate the help and insight.  I just learned about all of this within the last hour. The good news is I don't have to get a new battery but I will have to pay 89.00 for the parasitic test which is a drag because I could have dsone it at a more local hop for less since firestone and their battery warranty are doing me no good. 

Thank YOU!! :)

If you have an amp meter, you can  hook it up and then pull the radio fuse.  If the AMPS drop, there is a solution.  

There are quick disconnects for batteries as well.  

I have a Dash unit from a 2005 if you want it, $60 shipped.

Hmm.  The CD player stopped working a couple of years ago.  Have not been able to get any of the cds to play or for the cd playher to function at all. 

I wonder if I could take it out and some how dislodge or get the cds out.... 

Thanks for the thought!

It is rather easy to exchange the radio/AC unit. You will have to undo the side trims on left and right side of the radio unit. Then undo all the 6 screws and there you go. Putting it back in is bit more hassle with all the cables (I have Nav unit as well), but not impossible. Do not forget the hazard light switch cable.

• Like 1

This is a fairly common problem. The best approach is an aftermarket stereo.

Crutchfield sells dash kits to mount aftermarket single and double din head units.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_112200/Vehicle-specific-Mounting-Kits.html?tp=3121

Spend $119 on a stereo, get the dash kit, wire harness, and install sheet for free.