Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cleaning/Protecting plastic around doors/bumpers

Hey folks - just wondering what you all are using to clean/protect that black plastic stuff on the bottom of the doors & bumpers? Going to be washing my new Outback tomorrow & need your opinions on this plastic stuff.

I recall my old VW GTI back in high school I used to use armor all, & those black pieces ended up fading badly. Would hate for that to happen again on this outback.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mother's "Back to Black"  works well for a few weeks at a time.  Good for black or grey surfaces.

I'll have to look at the bottle again, but I bought this tiny bottle of bumper stain from IPD many years ago.  It works really well and  lasts for years.  I'll look it up when I get home.

Gentlemen,

I've been using No Touch tire foam on the black exterior plastic pieces on my cars for several years. It doesn't wash off, and lasts quite a long time between applications, but it is best used sparingly.

I use a small synthetic foam sponge, spray the foam on the sponge and apply it to the plastic bits. Wipe any excess off the painted areas as it will attract dirt. I particularly like how it brings the black vinyl bra back to life on my black 300zx.

I found a good protectant hi gloss finish when I resurfaced my head lights.

I found a product called rejex, it can be used on the entire car including the headlights and glass. It has UV protecant in it and it leave a smooth finish that's easy to keep clean. Its supposed to last 6+ months as well.

I treadted my head lights with it to protect the plastic from the UV rays. Its a no buff product, you wipe it on, let it haze and then wipe it off.

Its worked on my headlights great, I used it on both of my cars.