Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wipers

Well, we're gettin some much needed rain now. So, im having a bit of difficulty with my wipers. Sitting or at lower speeds they clear the glass OK, but higher speeds on the hiway cause the blades to make less contact with the glass and it just smears the stuff... v. bad visibility. ive tried 3 different wiper blades to no avail. passenger side is a bit better, but drivers side is absolutely horrible. Any ideas, suggestions?? Thanks!

I've said it before, I'll say it again - little item called a wiper snuggie. Clips onto the wiper arm and pulls it in toward the windshield. comes in either chrome or black finish, sold in pairs and available at some auto parts stores, and most truckstops (big trucks have this problem regularly due to thier aerodynamics - or lack thereof)

can post a picture of them installed if ya want - just ask.

thank you for saying it again... ACE was rather low on springs and i couldn't find one that matched.. i'll have to go look for that wiper thing you mentioned...and i use RAIN X as well, but it doesn't really solve the problem. helps, yes, but doesnt fix it..

you could bend the arms to apply more pressure against the window. for high speeds you can buy little deflectors that go on your wiper arms to flow air "over" them at faster speeds

or you could replace the spring in the arm that holds your wiper blade tight to the windshield. Dunno if you will find just the springs so you might need replacment arms.

Yes, the snuggies were originally made for big rigs, but many "drivers" have taken to using them on thier personal vehicles as well (myself included) and have passed the things on to friends and family too. That is why I mentioned them being available at most truckstops - you will have better luck finding them there than the auto parts places.

3 or 4 bucks sounds about right on the price too - not terribly expensive and they work great! Have one on my Subie's driver side wiper now (gave the other one to mom who was having the same problem with her chevy!)

Will try to snap a quick pick tomorrow - too dark out now...

oops.. i reread your post shadow and you probably searched USING the Napa numbers previously posted.. my bad...

i think its kind of funny what they chose to call these things.. seeing these truckers going into the store and requesting "wiper snuggies" is kind of humorous..

• 1 month later...

Add me to the Wiper Snuggie fan club.

Couldn't wipe worth crap for years. No luck bending arms, staring at old springs, putting new blades on.... 70 mph on a rainy day and I was screwed.

Hitched my britches up, walked into the local NAPA, laid down my three bucks and said "Bartender, gimme a couple-a-them wiper snuggies."

Being geometrically challenged, it took me longer to mount em than it did to kiss my first girlfriend (and that, my friends, took a while), but I can now report that I am Looking Forward to that first torrential downpour on I-89. These things work like a charm.