Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Subaru gl aftermarket help plzzz

Ok so it seem I'm the only guy in the work to do this first plzzz tell me if I'm not cause it's very hard iv looked on YouTube in the forem became a member all over Google and nothing I have a 1984 Subaru gl with 129k miles engine and body and I can't find nothing for it so far iv put a turbo on it I made the exhoust my self and turbo mounts I made the intake piping and all and I'm about pull engine to redo all of the engine bay I'm on a budget but I love this car my fav car iv ever ownd out of 29 cars I'm going for that jdm look I'm ordering the diamond racing steelys for it and trying to find coilovers that work for it I can't find a steering hub that works I'm making it low and the out side and engine bay look good keeping dash trying put new steering setup on it and iv got a Indy hurst shifter in it boost gauge made by boshce how ever that's spelled looking for help anyone anything any ideas feel free plzz comment give ideas tell me if ur doing that same as me cause so far iv fount no one making a jdm slammed camberd out classy show car out of a subaru yet thank you so much

You could try to air bag the car. De-clock the rear torsion bar and find the right air strut you can modify for the back. On the front you can use a "Universal Air Aerosport" slip over air bag.  You have to make all your own seats and mounts though. I havent got a model number for the rear that I can afford yet as the rear is where it can get expensive. 

Edited by Hsoj

After reading your post, you're going to have to fab almost everything. Literally.

The only "Aftermarket" for these cars is to go taller, and that's just those of us on the few old school Subaru boards.

As was suggested previously, and only to emphasize it, declock the rear torsion bar and possibly find/make some shorter front springs and struts.

And no, torching springs or simply cutting off part of the spring isn't "making" new springs.

You haven't stated, but is it 2wd or 4wd?

There is a gentleman somewhere on here with a 1st gen (EA71 body) with it slammed and cambered.

If you can find him he may be able to offer a few tips on how to do it right.

Twitch

holy crapola i never seen anything like that where someone writes a sentence this long with no periods is that normal if so how and i knew a guy once who tried it and ddint work out i also tried it and it did work out but from amile away it was fine.

hehe

Edited by AnotherGL10guy

After reading your post, you're going to have to fab almost everything. Literally.

The only "Aftermarket" for these cars is to go taller, and that's just those of us on the few old school Subaru boards.

As was suggested previously, and only to emphasize it, declock the rear torsion bar and possibly find/make some shorter front springs and struts.

And no, torching springs or simply cutting off part of the spring isn't "making" new springs.

You haven't stated, but is it 2wd or 4wd?

There is a gentleman somewhere on here with a 1st gen (EA71 body) with it slammed and cambered.

If you can find him he may be able to offer a few tips on how to do it right.

Twitch

Just so we are clear, there is almost no way to go that low and "do it right"  About the only way to get the "Stanced" look that people want is to lower the body on the chassis/frame, otherwise your suspension geometry and movement is severly compromised.

yeah i was half asleep their, but thanks so much if anyone finds out anything just let me know im a great welder and have my own shop so im just going to tear it all down and make the stuff my self, as said before if anyone has any ideas let me know!!

Great idea Douchebag!!!

• Like 1

Just so we are clear, there is almost no way to go that low and "do it right" About the only way to get the "Stanced" look that people want is to lower the body on the chassis/frame, otherwise your suspension geometry and movement is severly compromised.

Right, I was implying that the other person may assist in doing it "right", as in not bastardizing the hell out of a straight car.

Twitch

• Like 1

If you are not talking about a subaru or some sort of helping like they have been don't comment. We don't need you telling us about the way we spell or some spoob this is a Subaru forum, not a place to talk spoob or nag so don't comment unless you are talking about your car or something in the aspect of I don't know? Maybe a car!

But back to the car, I have built plenty of cars it's my job iv just never done anything with a older import like this, I can fab stuff and things like that just looking for someone with more years of know how then me, but I got it pulled apart right now all but the engine, it's still in their, things about the car, has a small not sure on size yet, but a small turbo, custom made exhaust work for the turbo, no intercooler at this time, has tial wastegate, ebay bov, a weber carb and carb hat for turbo, tops psi it has ever pulled is 9 psi. I'm re doing all break system and suspension, and by the way it's front wheel drive, would like it to be awd but don't know what kind or rearend would fit, and thanks for all those that commented to help me God bless, and I'll try find that guy with the old slammed subi!!

If you are not talking about a subaru or some sort of helping like they have been don't comment. We don't need you telling us about the way we spell or some spoob this is a Subaru forum, not a place to talk spoob or nag so don't comment unless you are talking about your car or something in the aspect of I don't know? Maybe a car!

Actually, from what I've read, you DO need to be told how to spell and use punctuation.  It might seem like a trival thing, but a lot of people won't even take the time to read your posts on this board unless they can read it.  It's not like talking to someone face to face where we can read lips, we have to be able to read it.  We shouldn't have to decode it too.

WritingbigolerunonsentencesthatjustgoonforeverandeverandeverjuststarttoallltblendtogetherandnotmakeanysensewhenyoulookatthesoupoflettersnumbersandpunctuationfartedallacrossthescreenwithnoregardforhowdifficultitmightbetodecypherforthefolkswhoAREwillingtoactuallyhelpyou.

Besides all that, you are clearly a master fabricator, since you had to come ask us how to lower a car.  Really?  "amber kits"are one thing, but a custom lowering job is something quite different.  It has to be engineered as a whole, not a single part of a system like a "camber kit."

I have lowered my car, yes it was a custom job since there is zero active aftermarket for "tuning" these cars.

But what do I know?  You got this!

Edited by carfreak85

Back to air bags... are you going for "cool looks" or are you gonna rat rod this thing? Its too light and too flexible of a frame to race really, to crawl around on the rocks, that flexibility is nice. Air suspension is the only way to achieve your custom tune-able suspension. Of course the parts arent cheap. But Universal air aereosport for the front $189 each And for the rear ....being 2wd, you can weld a mount and a swing arm to the torsion bar and mount these.. rear bags from sdtrucksprings #1s6-055 goodyear sleeve bag at $32 each. Get a power window console for your model car to use for the stock looking switches to go cheap or a modern controller setup for a few grand and bounce your car from your phone, some Asco air valves ( $25-$35 each times 8) and the air tank for a semi brake fits perfect by the gas tank. Oh the a/c pump or the separate air pump and gauges and your in. You would be done for just about a grand minus metal and tubing. You make the perches for the front and shim to your desired tune and ride height and for the back you do the same but with limiting straps. Done. Thats for a 2wd. 

You want air struts in the back (or are 4wd)? Look up the prices$$$$ they are easy to find or make a top perch for and the bottom is simple enough but the strut will have to be picked for your tune already and for the price .... a grand plus each...that's limiting. 

• Like 1

Manners will get you far.  If you want help, best not to piss off the people most able to help you.

There is a lot of knowledge available on this forum.  Lots of of people who have built everything from simple spacers to full custom suspension and chassis.  But none of them are going to want to help you with the attitude you've come in with.  You came here asking questions, but your responses to criticisms imply that you want to do it your way and wish for no outside help or advice.  If you want to prove yourself, them by all means, go try it.  But if you'll humble yourself enough to take the advice on here, you'll save yourself a lot of pain, frustration, and money.

The way you act and treat others is the way you will be treated.  If you come with organized, easy to read, mature questions, those are the type of responses you will get.  But when you come in here acting a like a small child, getting angry at anyone who points it out, that's how you will get treated; like a small child.  But, that's just my advice.

Hey Douche, dont get pissed. This is the best forum on cars out there. Try the flame wars on a ford or chevy forum or the piss on your neighbor hoonda sites.  

There is too little time in the day (all of us) to be pissing off anyone and driving anyone away. We all have something to give. 

Yo'J here.

Edited by Hsoj