Ultimate Subaru Message Board

torque converter reinstallation

I've just removed the engine from this 03 outback wagon and the torque converter came out with the engine. It pulled a tube that seems to be connected to the pump out about 6 inches before I could get it disconnected from the converter and then the tube slid back into the trans. The converter slides onto the shaft but does not go in as far as it should. My question is what am I dealing with here? The tube has 2 notches on the front for the pump drive but doesn't seem as if it is bottomed. Is the pump at the back ot the trans or what. Hoping for any information. TIA

awrench

tHE CONVERTER WHEN SEATED (oops) should look like it is ready to scrape the back of the bellhousing.

If you put the engine and trans together the converter must NOT be touching the flexplate when the bell housing and engine are fully mated.

If you mate the engine and trans and the converter is touching the flexplate and you pull them together with the bolts...  bye bye pump!

• Like 1

I've measured the last 2 torque converter seatings that I've done. If you measure from the starter hole of the bellhousing, you should have about 1/8 of an inch gap between the TC and bellhousing. The bolts between the flexplate and TC actually draw it forward after the engine is mated to the trans.

That tube attaches to the torque converter by way of a C-clip. If it slid back into the trans without being attached, the converter wont seat all the way. (Same thing happened to me once.) Get a flathead screwdriver or three and start fishing for the tube. Pull it out, find where your clip fell and reattach it to the converter. Then slide the whole thing back in gently. Support the center of the torque converter with a finger while spinning it colckwise. if it's lined up it will slide in with a series of three little "clunks" Check your distance between bellhousing and TC and it's seated.

Sounds complex but it will all seem simple after it's done.

The best way to put the torque converter back in

Is to pull that long shaft out of the transmission

There is a little metal clip that has to connect the

shaft to the torque converter and then you

put the shaft and torque converter in all as one unit

than tern it like one full turn if that it will go right into place

I am unable to reinsert the converter. The only thing I can see that is preventing it from going all the way into the case is that the stator spline inside the converter is off center when I look down the shaft of the converter. Is there some way of centering it?

TIA

Dear subaru fanatic!

I have done just as you said. The trans is in the car and the car is on a lift with the trans supported, as nearly level as it will get. when the TC assembly is slid into the case, it goes down smoothly and seems to engage the pump. The tube is mounted on the TC with the C-clip. I have spun the TC while supporting it, pulled it out and tried again about 20 times but it will still not go in all the way so that the TC is below the surface of the bell housing. It is blocked solid and I am at an impasse... What am I missing?

My Dear Subaru Fanatic,

After my last post I went back and started all over again and Voila! the TC just fell in. Just for the record it is just below the surface of the bell housing and 1/8" from the starter hole. Thanks again (and again) for the help and the patience.