Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, So I don't know Subaru's, but I would like to do something. In my younger days I put big motors in many cars/trucks. Sometimes many mods or upgrades had to be made.

I bought my daughter a 2001 Outback Legacy Wagon with a V6 a few years ago. In this time she wrinkled the entire passenger side of the car against a tree and now it needs a new rack and pinion and both rear sway links. VW people have been wanting this engine, but I could get an 82 Brat pretty much for free... I doesn't run. The thought is to put the V6 Outback motor in the Brat.

I there a kit for this... Will it fit.... Will the drive-train take it.... Advice please, Thanks

It will take some work but it can certainly be done. I would attempt it for sure. It is made easier by the fact that you have the entire donor vehicle. Can you do most of the work yourself? This will probably be the key to success with this project as it will be very labor intensive (IE EXPENSIVE) if you have to pay a tech $90.00 per hour. I say if you are ok with the wiring and general fabrication then take a look at the Outback wiring schematics first. If you aren't scared off yet, and the fact that the radiator will likely not fit at all, then please post lots of pics!  Good Luck...

Edited by Crazyeights

... a 2001 Outback Legacy Wagon with a V6 ...

If the engine is the Subaru Original, then it is an H6, Not a V6.

In my own humble opinion, very respectfully I kindly suggest you to avoid such project, because despite that anything could be fitted with enough time and money, the H6 engine is way too big for the Brat's engine bay... I've done something similar years ago, I placed another subaru's H6 engine onto an old school subaru wagon, and thus explains my user name here; but that was really a Bad idea, not only for the lack of space, but handling and braking becomes dangerous for the extra weight in the mere front...

Kind Regards.

because of the cylinder 'pitch' and the use of a chain inplace of a belt, the EZ engines are only an inch or so longer than the EJs - but, that may still make them too long for a Brat, not sure.

would require moving the ECU over and merging wire harnesses. Dunno what you do for a trans as US models were auto-only. Final drive ratios must match....lots to consider.

you might dig around at NASIOC and at subaruoutback.org for anyone who has done something similar.

Might be easier to sell the Brat as-is, use the funds to find a Baja with a blown motor.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Pretty sure the EZ30 (H6 engine you have) will not fit in the engine bay of a Brat.....even a second Gen.

the Dual cam heads are huge, and the engine itself is long.....

It'd be a shoehorn fo sure and then like 2.7 said.....it's gonna be a waaaaayyy front heavy beaooch.

Way to fast for how poor it will handle.

Maybe if you only wanted to drive 1/4 mile at a time :)

• Like 1