Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey first post on this forum,

So I have a 96 outback recently changed the back right Tyre with the thinner spare after that when accelerating from rest the car would pull to the right and it would be harder to accelerate, if I'm right this means that it was sticking?(not sure if it's the cause). But all of a sudden out of nowhere I heard and felt a banging on the front right hand side of the car, it is almost as if something is jammed somewhere but can't see it, it happens when the engine is in gear, neutral and off and rolling. Can drive but after a few rotations the banging gets louder and can feel the resistance and vibration more so.

Can anyone help me with this who has had a similar problem? If so how do I fix? Cheers

Sounds like torque bind broke somethung, sounds like CV shaft was the weak point.

STOP DRIVING IT. If its an auto you can put the fwd fuse in and limp it home

It's an auto, but how would putting a fwd fuse help now considering it may be the front shaft that's broke?

How easy to fix?

wheel alignment probably not necessary.

Inspection may be all that is required - compare sides to each other for appearance, how solid/loose the axles feel when shifted about. if the boots are torn, if wheels rotate without the inner cup of the axle turning, etc.

If nothing is clear - probably best to have a professional take a look.

Tires MUST be the same size/brand/model and close to each other in wear for regular use. For use of emergency spare - check the manual for the car, many models need use of the FWD fuse if automatic, other speed/distance limitations for manual trans cars.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

1.  Does it still have the spare tire on?
***Get matching tires on it ASAP

2. What's the history - the car ran great since the day you bought it 20 years ago - then one random day started doing this?

or it's gradually gotten worse over time?

3.  are the CV axles original?

4.  are you still driving around with the same spare tire on?  It's probably the wrong size?

5.  what does it do if you insert the FWD fuse? 

you've given us really limited information...you're expecting too much without giving enough descriptive, historical information. 

wheel alignment probably not necessary.

Inspection may be all that is required - compare sides to each other for appearance, how solid/loose the axles feel when shifted about. if the boots are torn, if wheels rotate without the inner cup of the axle turning, etc.

If nothing is clear - probably best to have a professional take a look.

Tires MUST be the same size/brand/model and close to each other in wear for regular use. For use of emergency spare - check the manual for the car, many models need use of the FWD fuse if automatic, other speed/distance limitations for manual trans cars.

I have already compared sides, driver side is slightly looser than left, no boots are torn from what i can see. There is no damage externally, I'm guessing it's the joint, i know it is the driver side that is broken, as i had a friend look at the inner cup while driving, the banging happens when the joint slightly jolts/vibrates. 

Nobody told me about the spare when i bought it, i knew it would be unbalanced but figured it would be ok, didn't think about it at the time.

1.  Does it still have the spare tire on?

***Get matching tires on it ASAP

2. What's the history - the car ran great since the day you bought it 20 years ago - then one random day started doing this?

or it's gradually gotten worse over time?

3.  are the CV axles original?

4.  are you still driving around with the same spare tire on?  It's probably the wrong size?

5.  what does it do if you insert the FWD fuse? 

you've given us really limited information...you're expecting too much without giving enough descriptive, historical information. 

1. Tire being fixed, not moving it haven't for the past 3 days.

2. I bought the car a couple of months ago, but it didnt happen until the spare tyre was put on.

3. CVs are original as far as i know, what if i put 1 after market on and have the original on the otherside?

4.no

5. Havent tried it, but im guessing it would be the same but the brakes wouldn't stick.

Also car's had a popped cylinder for since i bought it but i drove it 3000km from Cairns to Melbourne no problem.

Edited by keelang

Always good to read the owners manual, the FWD fuse info is in there.  

Half shafts are pretty easy to change as long as the splines in the hub are not rusted in.

Loosen the axle nut

Pin punch the top strut bolt for alignment

Remove the top lower strut mount bolt

Loosen the lower bolt

Remove the inner half shaft roll pin and slide it off the trans shaft

Remove it from the hub.

Reinstall in the reverse order

• Like 1

FWD fuse and spare tire have NOTHING to do with the brakes.

I suspect if you put the FWD fuse in then the car would not drive with a broken front axle.

You're probably right, but that's not what i meant, when i put the spare on in 4WD there was an imbalance in the driver side causing the front driver side to have more power/torque than the rear causing the brakes to stick and the car to drive to the right.

You're probably right, but that's not what i meant, when i put the spare on in 4WD there was an imbalance in the driver side causing the front driver side to have more power/torque than the rear causing the brakes to stick and the car to drive to the right.

That's tourque bind, nothing to do with your brakes.

The one smaller tire caused the rear end to put power to that tire, esentialy changing the gear ratio making the front end fight the rear end. which makes it pull to one side or the other.

Edited by mikaleda

Hopefully the tourque bind didn't cause more damage than just an axle. I would check the rest of the axles and the driveline, if that all checks out the I would check the front and rear diff out.

It's strange because I rolled the car without the front drivers axle and the sound was gone.... the front diff looked fine, well should the ring around it be perfectly circular around it?

It's strange because I rolled the car without the front drivers axle and the sound was gone.... the front diff looked fine, well should the ring around it be perfectly circular around it?

The car won't make any sounds just by pushing it. I'm not sure what ring your talking about though