Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New car, some quirks -- occasionally dies

Hey Folks,

I got a new-to-me '97 Legacy Outback.  2.5 DOHC.  162k miles.  Runs pretty good minus a few little quirks -- I'd love some guidance.

- Power is inconsistent sometimes.  I step on the gas and it takes a few seconds to kinda get going.  Once it gets in the higher rpms (4k+ then it makes good power)

- Occasionally it will start bucking on light throttle, and then not hold an idle.  Car dies and I restart it and it works just fine again.

- No codes are thrown, no pending codes.

Things I've done:

- New plugs/wires

- replaced the MAF with another used one (so I'm not sure that tells us much) 

I have an OBDII scanner, but I have yet to be scanning it when it will start bucking and die, so I dont have much to go on.  

Was thinking O2 sensor?

Thoughts?  Thanks!

Edited by thedrew

So I was driving it during lunch and i was doing it again and I was able to play with it before I hit a stop light and it died.

On light throttle, the bucking is very light.  I was holding 3k rpm and you could feel the power come on and off at like 1hz.

If you went farther into the throttle, the bucking would get alot more rough, same frequency.

I got some cleaner and a new gasket for the Idle valve, I'll clean it tonight.