Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Took my subi in to the dealership for a new front axle. Was told my head gaskets are leaking?? Must be external cause I dont overheat....ever. Anyways, was wonder what the best option is for head gaskets? I have a few mods, and will be adding some deltas very soon :D . Are there some thinner gaskets that might improve my compression ratio? Or just some quality gaskets that will last under spirited driving? Thanks!!

i would be suspicious of their diagnosis.  so far you've given ZERO indications you have a head gasket leak.

1. no overheating

2.  no coolant loss

3.  if it is a leak - it's probably from something else like a hose or the thermostat housing. 

Subaru dealers often don't maintain cars more than a few years old - due to rust most dealerships out here would have forgotten the EJ22 by now and be clueless about it.  they may associate any green stuff under the engine with external headgaskets leaks of the very common 1999+ EJ25 external headgasket leak.  they see many of those every week, so that may be all a new kid knows.

so far it sounds like they're wrong.

crawl under the car and look for the leak.  post pictures and look for green.

best gasket for this engine is OEM subaru.  if you want higher compression, mill the heads, don't use a different gasket.

although I think Cometic will make gaskets any thickness you want, i wouldn't do that.

• Like 1

Okay first what is the year make and model.

Second if its an ej22 and its not overheating I would doubt your head gasket is the problem

From reaserch on this when my head gaskets went out, use only OEM or or on the 2.2 with composite head gaskets (like the early 90's used) you can use fel pro head gaskets.

But I would get a second opinion on the head gasket diagnosis.

Yea I was a little suspicious. Its a 97 Impreza OBS. It does have 270xxx miles on it. Would probably be a good idea to change them anyway? Im gonna get some deltas and rebuild an extra set of heads and then just swap them at some point. OEM is the way to go then. Thanks for the input! 

generally i wouldn't pre-emptively replace EJ22 headgaskets - they don't blow unless they have been compromised (overheated) or tampered with.

but if your'e doing cams, over a quarter million miles, and we're talking about the easiest Subaru head gaskets to replace......?

use Subaru OEM gaskets

resurface the heads - that's easily done yourself read the thread about it on this forum