Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front axle CLUNK on left turn (CV?)

CV front end axles hub ball joint

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 benjamachine

benjamachine

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:06 PM

Last week, I replaced the CV axles, ball joints, tie rod ends, and struts on my '87 Subaru GL 4WD.

For some reason when I apply a lot of (engine) torque when the wheels are turned hard to the left, there's a huge clunk as soon as significant torque is applied. This baffles me, because I've taken it apart to inspect (again) and could find nothing wrong. The CV axles, ball joints, struts, etc., are brand new. The ball joints, strut mounts, hub, axle nuts, brake calipers, sway bar mounts, etc., are tight. I took the wheels off today and re-checked all this stuff. The wheel lug nuts are torqued properly and everything, and I also checked the strut mount screws and the nut that secures the end of the strut into its top mounting plate.

The wheel bearings also looked good. They were smooth and tight, and I packed a bunch of grease in there before putting the axles back in. The car makes no weird noises whatsoever when I'm running down the road at 75 mph. It's only when I start a sharp left turn.

At this point, I'm standing around scratching my head. Other than the clicking the old axle did (because the outer boot had a rip in it and a bunch of grit got into the CV joint), it didn't make the big CLUNK when I was turning. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks! 

#2 stratman977

stratman977

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Belle Vernon, PA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

What kind of axles did you replace it with. I just had two remanufactured axles from napa that were bad out of the box.

#3 Transformer

Transformer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • St. Paul, MN

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

I'm having the same issue and I also just replaced my pass. CV shaft. I got mine from rockauto: cardone select # AA1 66-7008 to be exact. I just bought new bushings for my control arms to eliminate that possibility.

#4 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:06 AM

could check your inner tie rods.  I had a clunk in reverse real bad and that was the culprit.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,478 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

Radius rod bushings?

Or maybe the radius rod plate itself shifting?

#6 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 2,263 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

The hub splines might be starting to wear out, you might not be able to tell just by looking yet.

#7 benjamachine

benjamachine

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:18 AM

I got the axles from autozone, and have had good luck with their parts in the past. I was thinking that it could be the top rubber bushings on the left side strut mount. I replaced the front struts, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CV, front end, axles, hub, ball joint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users