Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapping an 88 DL SPFI shortblock into an 86 GL Carb'd

So I got an 86 GL that has terribly blown head gasket or cracked head (quart of water mixed in oil), and I want to put my good Block from my 88 DL parts car into it and just put all the carb'd stuff off the blown engine and put in all onto the good shortblock.

Is there any difference between an SPFI block and heads and a Carburated block and heads?

-They're both Manual and both non-power steering

Thanks everyone for any input!

The only difference between the carb heads and the SPFI heads is the egr port. Otherwise a carb manifold bolts directly on. You will have to lose the ACVS as there is no port on the side of the exhaust port. 

You can swap the heads for the sake of doing head gaskets, but it is not immediately necessary to do so. Just carry everything from the carb engine over to the SPFI long block, including the distributor

Edited by MilesFox

The only difference between the carb heads and the SPFI heads is the egr port. Otherwise a carb manifold bolts directly on. You will have to lose the ACVS as there is no port on the side of the exhaust port. 

You can swap the heads for the sake of doing head gaskets, but it is not immediately necessary to do so. Just carry everything from the carb engine over to the SPFI long block, including the distributor

Miles....the EGR port is the same.....pass. side head out the top.

The ASV tubes are where it's different........and the SPFI heads can be drilled out and tapped for the ASV pipes.....but why would you....ASV is stupid system I ussually tell people to remvoe or at least plug w/ quarters.

+1 to swapping whole longblock.