Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to Subaru

Greetings, my name is Greg, my user name is 1bignordic, yea blonde hair-blue-eyed Swede who has driven Volvos but really have wanted to get into a Subaru Outback!  I have found your forum because I need to learn what to look for while shopping for the right deal.  Since I like to turn wrenchs I'm looking for a well maintained older model (late-90's - early 2000's) for a couple of reasons, most older cars with a few miles on them are cheaper, I guess I'm a little cheap!  I have found that older vehicles that have been well maintained have many good miles left in them, most people trade up because they want a newer model, and don't do their own work.  I don't know anything about the "boxer" type engines, that's why I'm here!  I look forward to learning and meeting new people...

Greetings Greg. If you indeed like to turn a wrench or two then a Subaru is a great car for you.The engine position is the best feature of the vehicle as it is mounted center with a transmission behind it .......The way cars should be. Apposed to most side-ways mounted front wheel drive motors which are mounted atop a tran-saxle, whereas  if you have ham hands like mine, maintaining them is anything but a good experience. Just take the alternator for instance. my friend has a PT cruiser that he had to switch one out on. He had to remove the front tire along with the fender-well and cv shaft. this scenario goes for most normally serviced parts on most newer vehicles.When i showed him the alternator on my wifes 2009 impreza just sitting atop its mount front and center as if to tease him, i thought he was gonna take a swing at me. When i showed him the starter sitting atop the back of the motor i had to run and hide from him. the ease of access is astounding. the only other way to get this experience is with a rear wheel drive vehicle which is most likely to have a v8 with the same confined space issues due to its size fuel efficiency issues and not to mention lack of grip on slippery surfaces. I was a hardcore Chevy guy and remember laughing at any car with 6 cylinders and under until gas prices drove me to downsize. Subaru gives me the same wrenching pleasure and then some. if you have any questions about the integrity of a boxer engine just look at how long the V.W. bug has been on the road, the power that is pulled out of a porches 4 cylinder boxer and look at all the classics here on the forum. subaru has come a long way and has perfected the boxer while other car companies have ditched them due to making more profitable and cramped front wheel drive cars. Subaru simply embraced its low RPM torque capabilities, low center of gravity prtoperties and made it all wheel drive. besides, we here are all a great family and as you can see here...we live to help others with their soobs and will answer all of your questions.