Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Electric Supercharger Kit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KDUB

KDUB

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • NorthEast Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:28 PM

Has anyone run into this yet? http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=2478854026
Scam or not?
later
kdub

#2 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:09 PM

That is a FRAUD, it is a ventalation blower that cannot and will not ever ever provide boost. The same item can be had for less than $30 at a boating or equipment supply store. This topic pops up from time to time and it is absolute crap, yet some always try to defend a product they have never owned or used because they want it to be true. Please ignore these fools and keep your money in your pocket, or better yet, on a real modification. For that same cash you could get a free flowing muffler and a K&N to help it breathe a bit better.

#3 75skunkaroo

75skunkaroo

Gimmie Shock Treatment

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Central Point Or.

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:44 AM

we built something similar to that using an old heater blower, a coat hanger, a wall light switch, and some pvc pipe then put it on a chevy sprint, called it a "turbo". worked good for a few laughs

-mike

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

Their full of sh*t . I doubt 150 cubic ft a min would even give you 1psi boost. They couldn't even keep their facts straight, in the text it said it was only for non-fuel-injected models only, all EJ's are fuel injected.

#5 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:42 PM

If I got a dolloar everytime someone posted this id be poor as dirt still but id have a lot of subarus :D

#6 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

Start selling these $30 fans on ebay for $200 and you can buy more Subes!

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:41 PM

Their full of sh*t . I doubt 150 cubic ft a min would even give you 1psi boost. They couldn't even keep their facts straight, in the text it said it was only for non-fuel-injected models only, all EJ's are fuel injected.

I agree.. they are stupid. They are crap

However, the EJs are all FI.. only in the US/Canada(the 51st state:lol: )

other parts of the world have carb'd legacies and such

#8 THAWA

THAWA

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Sac

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:24 PM

you realize the vf10/11 used in legacy's flows about 5 cubic meters per minute at full boost(8.7 psi), which is around 176 cubic feet per minute

#9 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:54 PM

sorry folks, misread cubic meters as cubil liters. now inserting foot in mouth. :(

#10 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:56 PM

its a 2.2 liter engine, so at 6000 rpm the engine would be moving 1.1 X 6000 = 6,600 liters a minute because for each cylinder to go through a full cycle it takes 2 rotations of the crankshaft, hence the 1.1 being used. Boost is most useful up at higher RPMs because of air starvation. If someone could do the CFM conversion from 6,600 L it would be nice. I did not know of cared EJ's, interesting to know. If they had FI, why did they still use the carbs?

#11 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:05 PM

i remember a few years back when thoose first were on ebay. poor people were getting suckered out of upwards of $600:eek:

#12 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:11 PM

booooooooo ooo ooogussssssss sss!!
did they mean throttle body?
it is easier to flush money down the toilet

#13 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:46 AM

HMMM, maybe I should start selling small oxygen bottles with fittings to dump it straight into the intake manifold. Porbably run like a raped ape until the heads blow off!!

#14 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:39 AM

I got suckered into buying an e-ram a couple years back. That piece of crap actually made my car a little slower.

There is somebody that is making an honest electric supercharger kit. IIRC, it's a small roots-type blower that provides 3psi (?) for 20 seconds or so via a rather substantial gel-cell battery pack. After draining the battery pack there is a penalty of a couple HP for the 10-15 minutes while attaining a full recharge. I'd imagine that this shortens alternator life a bit too.

#15 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:23 AM

The only one that comes close to working is this one by Thomas Knight:

Posted Image

It has three very high current motors that depete a large heavy pack in a VERy short time. It costs more than an actual belt driven supercharger and of course has maintenance and recharge concerns. But this shows just what is involved with gaining very short duration low boost. No piece of s$** plastic fart fan for a boat bathroom is going to do that.

#16 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:23 PM

brat, Bingo ...that's the one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users