Ultimate Subaru Message Board

F$%& you rear diff drain plug!

I cannot get this damn thing off!! I bought a 2' breaker bar and still couldn't get it. I even took an impac wrench to it(I know not wise) and nothing. I've sprayed some Free All and used a jack to lift the breaker bar too. No luck, I guess I need to put some heat to it. Any suggestions?

A piece of plumber's strap makes the 1/2 " drive fit better. I used my 3/4" breaker bar and impact adapter to 1/2 to fit the plug. Jacked up the handle - till it lifted the car a good few inches. Was thinking wtf? Got out from under the car, shoved down on the bumper, and it broke free.

Yep, they're a biatch! I made the mistake of draining mine before breaking the fill plug loose. Tried the impact gun and heat on it. Now I have a nice, rounded hole where there once was a square.... :mellow: Had to pump fluid in through the drain hole. That was fun. I'll have to weld a bolt to it when I finally get around to doing that pinion seal so I can get it out.

loooooong pipe.  you need more leverage - 2 feet is way too short unless you want to bust knuckles.

get the car way off the ground too - or somehow have lots of room for the pipe/socket combo to take up slack and bend before it breaks free.  the pipe will bend and hit the bottom of the trunk before you can get enough stank on it.  get plenty of degrees of motion.

or yeah - a really stout impact gun with lots of torque and hammer away.  nothing wrong with that.

or yeah - a really stout impact gun with lots of torque and hammer away.  nothing wrong with that.

Well......often impacts will have a snapring at the  tip for holding sockets.......and this will prevent them from seating deep enough into the plug.......espescially if you don't clear out gunk.  Definately don't want to strip that bugger.

Worst case drop the rear of diff from carrier, and unbolt the cover.........then you could blue wrench it :flamethrower:

• Like 1

Ask your local oil shop to open it as the pit allows room for a 3 foot breaker bar. That and they shouldhave a replacement plug. Make sure you do not install it too tight. It may be worth the $30 dollar diff service at your local oil shop.

• Like 2