Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pan Removal

Is it possible to remove the oil pan without removing the motor?

I think there may be some junk in my oil pan that I dont want to get into my pump.  (long story) :dead:

The row in the back looks tricky around the power steering rack.

Does it get siliconed back on or is there a gasket.

Thanks!!!

I know for sure that it can be done with an EA82 but I'm guessing you have an ea81? On my ea82 theres a hole in the crossmember to get to the back bolts with a screwdriver but they didn't perfectly line up. I used a 1/4 drive swivel socket on a long extension and got them out.

Best is to skip the gasket and use ultra gray or the right stuff RTV. I had a problem with leaks and I found that I had some ridges near the bolt holes in the pan and had to file them smooth before I could get a good seal.

Its true i do have an EA81.   It looks like no less than 6 bolts that are guarded by the cross member.

I did it in my hatch with the motor in the car.

I did have to undo the mounts and jack the motor up some to get enough clearance to drop it, but it can be done.

Dan

I got an EA81, took mine off with no problem. the back ones are kinda tricky but as stated there are holes so you can reach the bolts. ahhhhh... the wonderful simplicity of an old soobie! :D 

Unlike these new fangled machines. You need an electrician and a mechanic for even the most basic malfunctions.