Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rwd fun and lsd test

so i ordered a replacement axle but needed to be able to drive the rig so i instaled a stub and am running rwd till the new one comes in i also just installed my lsd so its a good time to test it first test i stoped with one wheel in a mud puddle in the grass and the other on the pavement i got 3 chirps from the tire on the pavement before taking off so it workes good nice and tight im realy suprized at how good it works but it makes this horable noise making hard turns under power low power its normal im hoping it will mellow out still way better than the welded rear on the street im asuming the noise is just the clutches i hope other than the noise it works great i wish i could run it like this all the time but i dont want to burn anything out its a hole different animal in rwd than fwd

As long as you have a stub axle in the front wheel bearings it could be ran indefinitely in RWD. The only problem is the transfer gears in the transmission weren't really designed to handle full power so they may fail when erhm.. dropping the clutch to do burnouts or going drifting..

As long as you have a stub axle in the front wheel bearings it could be ran indefinitely in RWD. The only problem is the transfer gears in the transmission weren't really designed to handle full power so they may fail when erhm.. dropping the clutch to do burnouts or going drifting..

I'm going to have to disagree about running in RWD indefinitely.  Besides the transfer gears in the transmission, you will start do destroy the rear wheel bearings.  Ask me how I know...

• 3 months later...

OK fine. Everything rearward of the transmission was designed to only have 1/2 the power of the engine sent to it.So the rear transfer gears,driveshaft,differential,axles, AND wheel bearings will wear faster than normal. happy?

And all the transfer gears, layshaft and bearing in the transmission too. :)

The axle i just installed failed already so im back in rwd till a good axel comes in ive turned down 2 new axels already again this round i tell you orealy axles are junk right out of the box worthless it made it less than 1000 miles before it froze up

No, the Nissan ones are the same as the R200 used in the STi WRXs, even the R180 used in some Datsuns is stronger than our rear diffs. Interchangable tho, with a bit of work.

False.  Datsun 510s and Z cars use R160s.  Hence why they steal our LSDs!

Not sure about the earlier Roadsters or later ZXs.

Remaned axles are crap. You're best option is to find a good stock axle from the junkyard and repack it full of grease.

+1.  at $15 - $30 each and reboot a used Subaru OEM axle, aftermarket are excellent if you relish breaking down and working on the same part multiple times.

The r160 is a good diff my parents used to rally race they both ran datsons mom had a 280z and step dad had a 510 they held up fine under the high torque straight 6 race motor the only real weak point in the drive tran for the rear drive is the transfer gears in the transmission the rest of the rear drive is stout i am worried about the lsd though i dont want to ware it out it locks up nicely right now so i want to keep it that way im am getting new axels funny the guy at the counter remeberd me because i riped him and his manager a new one becase they refused to warrenty my axel that was a bad idea on there part the maneger lost his job after i riped corprate a new one anyway we made nice so this time i go in and the same guy helps me and askes why i dont come in and buy parts anymore i pointed to the frozen axel and sead i cant keep installing junk on my car then shook the rattaly brand new axel next to it and sead junk he hung his head and went back to the computer to order a nother new axle i sead if the next one is bad ill just take it and keep it as a spare rebuild it my self and get a new one some where else im sure if they assembled them right and used quality boots and greas they would last but they dont i wont deal with orealys anymore if i dont have to because of the hole junk axle thing

• 2 weeks later...

Im still running rwd i did get my new cv axel but im waiting for all new silocone boot kit and greese so i can rebuild the brand new never instaled befor cheap orealy axel because they cant seem to put them to gether right at the factory its gona void the warrenty but like i told the guy at the counter they wont last 3 months as is and a warrenty isent any good if its beeing replaced with junk anyway i was getting rid of a 20ft boat 1800lbs and a 1100lb trailer i towed it down to the harbor and lanched it at low tide this little wagon in rwd mode whipped that boat around like nothing pulled it up the launch ramp with wet tires and only slight tire chirping with the boat off the trailer it roasted both back wheels all the way up the ramp still pulling the 1100lb trailer i would say the lsd works great if i only had one back tire it wouldent have been able to pull it up the ramp and i would have had to winch out of it i got rid of a boat that was a good boat but not my style and now i have a trailer for my outback crawler project

The r160 is a good diff my parents used to rally race they both ran Datsuns.  My mom had a 280z and my step-dad had a 510.  They held up fine under the high-torque straight-six race motor, the only real weak point in the drivetrain is the

transfer gears in the transmission.

The rest of the rear drive is stout. I am worried about the LSD though.  I don’t want to wear it out.  It locks up nicely right now so I want to keep it that way.  I’m getting new axles.

Funny the guy at the counter remembered me because I ripped him and his manager a new one because they refused to warranty my axle.  That was a bad idea on their part.  The manager lost his job after I ripped corporate a new one.  Anyway, we made nice, so this time I go in and the same guy helps me and asks why I don’t come in and buy parts anymore.  I pointed to the frozen axle and said, “I can’t keep installing junk on my car,” then shook the rattley, brand-new axle and said, “Junk.”

He hung his head and went back to the computer to order another new axle.  I said, “If the next one is bad, I’ll just take it and keep it as a spare, rebuild it myself, and get a new one somewhere else.”

I’m sure if they assembled them right and used quality boots and grease they would last, but they don’t.  I won’t deal with O'Rielly's anymore, if I don’t have to, because of the whole junk axle thing.

I’m still running RWD.  I did get my new CV axle, but I’m waiting for all new silicone boot kit and grease so I can rebuild the brand-new, never-installed-before cheap O'rielly axle, because they can’t seem to put them together right at the factory.  It’s going to void the warranty, but like I told the guy at the counter, they won’t last three months as-is, and a warranty isn’t any good if it’s being replaced with junk anyway.

I was getting rid of a 20ft boat, 1,800 lbs, and a 1,100 lb trailer.  I towed it down to the harbor and launched it at low tide. This little wagon in RWD mode whipped that boat around like nothing, pulled it up the launch ramp with wet tires and only slight tire chirping.  With the boat off the trailer it roasted both back wheels all the way up the ramp still pulling the 1,100 lb

trailer.  I would say the LSD works great!  If I only had one back tire it wouldn’t have been able to pull it up the ramp and I would have had to winch out of it.

I got rid of a boat.  That was a good boat, but not my style, and now I have a trailer for my outback crawler project!

Fixed...

Edited by carfreak85
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok i took the brand new axel apart to put my new silicone boots on and there was no grease in the joint at all bone dry just a small dab in the bottom of the cup that never made it close to the bearings

20150414_094858_zpsfvkwxy2j.jpg

20150414_094908_zpsfxqzgrqj.jpg

20150414_094926_zpsoog02cna.jpg

20150414_094952_zpssbdzklou.jpg

I greased them up real good put my boots on and instaled them the only ither problem i couldent fix was the slop in the splines i tryed packing as much grease in there as i could but we will see

20150415_095548_zpsuffxby7t.jpg

Ok i took the brand new axel apart to put my new silicone boots on and there was no grease in the joint at all bone dry just a small dab in the bottom of the cup that never made it close to the bearings

20150414_094908_zpsfxqzgrqj.jpg

WHAT?! That's insane. I would like to hope that we could trust parts stores more than this. What a f@#king rip off!

I was woundering why they only lasted a couple of months I want to send the picturs to orealy and see what they say i knew going into it that there poor quality but i hoped there was something to work with but with the splines as loose as they are i question if there even worth rebooting oh well i guess ill find out

Those boots are awsome super strechy and slick im hoping they wont pick up mud and sand and ware through like the rubber boots do i got them on ebay fron one of those hong kong sellers i couldent find them here they where a $100 for 8 but my kit onky had 7 so im kinda bunned they are selling 4 for 50 i cant find singles other than the blue split boot they also have them in red and black but my car is blue so i went with the blue