Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1976 DL 1600 Dilemma

Thanks, will do! And here a few pics of my 76'. I'm still not sure why it says GF on the back as I was under the assumption that the GF wasn't available as a 4 door sedan and had a different front end. Either way, I am very happy with the car and cannot wait for a nice day to take it out for a bit. http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1976DL/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141123_145030_zpse08559d8.jpg.html?filters[user]=142180068&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1976DL/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141123_145015_zps7a442b39.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1976DL/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141122_182519_zpsd4dfb0eb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

• Like 1

20141122_182519_zpsd4dfb0eb.jpg

Looks awsome.  As excited as you are to take your new classic for a spin, you may want to read up on all the wonderful chemicals that NY puts on its roads.  A lot of the chemicals are water activated.  So you may think the roads are clear of salt and sand on a nice dry sunny winter day, but your undercarraige is still getting dusted with calcium chloride and other chemicals.  Then when you go to your local car wash to spray off the underside.....you have just activated the chemical process to start deystroying your car.  The stuff they lay down now will destroy a car way faster than simple salt and sand. 

It is your car to enjoy as you see fit, just educate yourself. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up! With that in mind I have no problem protecting my investment and holding off until spring or summer to take the car. It's a bummer NY uses such aggressive chemicals, but safety comes first. On the plus side, the extended stay in the garage will give me time to continue to get some quick fixes and maintance needs done. And about how often should I start the car to let it run? I'm a little hesitant to let any of my vehicles sit for too long.

Yeah I'm the only jackass who uses a vintage Subaru thru the chemical season.

Mine has Zeibart mostly still doing its job but even then there are spots where you just could not stop the protection from wearing away and then of course rust to follow.

I'm really lucky to have been able to keep mine going as original. But that day is on the horizon where I'll have to put it to rest or take on some serious bodywork.

Keeping it from moisture is key. Although I do not have garage space my car's survival has been assisted by the fact that it is always over pavement with some air circulating all around it.

If you have a garage I suggest the bubble. Look into it or low voltage fans to circulate the air some.

Your exhaust will also go south just from sitting. Nature of the beast.

• 2 weeks later...