Ultimate Subaru Message Board

smoke out exhaust after adding transmission fluid

I recently purchased an 87 Subaru GL wagon, with automatic transmission and was checking the fluid levels and found the transmission fluid level was low. There was no fluid showing on the stick with the engine running in park so I added a full quart! The next day I checked it again and found the level to be just touching the bottom of the dip stick so I added another quart, probably a mistake. All of a sudden it started smoking big time out the exhaust. Can transmission fluid spill into the crankcase? If I added too much fluid why didn't the dip stick indicate it? What next, change the engine oil and filter and pull some transmission fluid out?

It sounds like you have a bad vacuum module on the Transmission and what's happening is transmission fluid is being sucked into the intake. This is a fairly know problem but a simple fix. To make sure that the module is really the problem, pull the vacuum hose of the module which is located near the back of the transmission, on the right side above the pan. If fluid dips out then it's the module and you need to replace the.

Thanks for the tip, GLCraigGT. I found a few drops of transmission fluid on the vacuum side of the modulator. How is the transmission modulator connected inside the transmission? Do I need to drop the transmission pan to disconnect the modulator? Although this car is an 1987 model it has onyl 53,000 miles, would it be a good idea to change the fluid and filter at this time as well? Do you know a good internet source for Subaru parts? How about a source for Subaru shop manuals?

While you are in there, drop the pan and replace the filter. You can get a quality kit from NAPA for under 20 bucsk prolly, includes a filter and new pan gasket. Just drop the pan (drain the fliuid first if thre is a drain plug, if not just drop one side of the pan, and buy a drain plug kit ($10) for it. With only 53k ono the clicker, it probably has never been serviced, and if you change the filter every 12,000 miles and have the transmission flushed every 24,000 it will last you a long time!

While you are in there, drop the pan and replace the filter. You can get a quality kit from NAPA for under 20 bucsk prolly, includes a filter and new pan gasket. Just drop the pan (drain the fliuid first if thre is a drain plug, if not just drop one side of the pan, and buy a drain plug kit ($10) for it. With only 53k ono the clicker, it probably has never been serviced, and if you change the filter every 12,000 miles and have the transmission flushed every 24,000 it will last you a long time!

You are aware that the filter is nothing more then a wire mesh screen?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the modulator installed without losing more than a cup of transmission fluid. Just screwed the old one out and quickly screwed the new one in. The new one is adjustable to set how much vacuum is required to downshift. I left it as set and it seems about right. I caught the fluid in a pan and examined it in the bright sunlight. It was slightly darker than new but did not smell burned at all. I think I will wait to change fluid and filter. Thanks for helping me get my Sue ba Rue going!!