Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej22 swap: Added wiring diagrams

sumoco

It makes more sense for this to be in retrofitting since more people go here for swap help.

Again all credit for these diagrams go to scooner

Hi everyone, I am just about to finish my swap thanks to Scooner, who sent me some amazing wiring diagrams that I thought I should share with everyone else( don't worry I asked him before I posted this)

I studied these along side the numbchux write up, which is an amazing write up, but is just missing a couple vital peices of information which I beleive these address

anyway without further adue

CD83DED8-2C94-4A56-9DD8-AA0D015FF92C_zps

99DD6DCC-C971-48EB-9A17-7F48C1BDBAF9_zps

E0ED42D7-8A3E-41BC-93DC-F45415D68F08_zps

303D924C-49D7-4E0C-AC8A-8A338DC2B861_zps

• 1 month later...

Ah that's right i remember reading this before. This is the reason i don't even consider a OBDII EJ22 in my swaps, i know there are alot of talented guys on here who can handle it but i just don't see the point. I guess being able to read diagnostics is kind of cool, but what a bunch of trouble with all those sensors! Haha Did you ever end up getting it to work right and be drivable?

Ah that's right i remember reading this before. This is the reason i don't even consider a OBDII EJ22 in my swaps, i know there are alot of talented guys on here who can handle it but i just don't see the point. I guess being able to read diagnostics is kind of cool, but what a bunch of trouble with all those sensors! Haha Did you ever end up getting it to work right and be drivable?

Nope, still not running right. I haven't had the time or ability to work on it for a while now. Hopefully when the weather warms up and the days get longer again.

• 5 years later...
On 1/11/2015 at 4:11 PM, Scooner said:

Yeah, i hear that. Winter really sucks for working on cars, if it's not a necessity i'm not laying under a car when it's 20 degrees haha. Hope you feel better soon bro!

Hey I know this is a zombie thread now but is pertinent to my predicament. I'm worried about how to properly ground my swap. I have cut out a lot of stuff and that included many wires I assume to be grounds. How can I be sure I properly ground this harness!?

9 hours ago, Skubaskott said:

Hey I know this is a zombie thread now but is pertinent to my predicament. I'm worried about how to properly ground my swap. I have cut out a lot of stuff and that included many wires I assume to be grounds. How can I be sure I properly ground this harness!?

2 cents:

You ask a good question. Let's look at what this is: A wiring harness is a collection of wires. Your harness generally just supplies power and signal everything. It assumes a good ground elsewhere.  You can add wires yourself to guarantee good grounds from the battery to chassis ground and between the engine and chassis ground. clean up a spot with a wire brush on a drill and bolt that puppy down with a large gauge wire. troubleshoot the rest. 

The ECU will have power and sensor grounds. Ideally, these be separate wires to separate grounding points on the engine block. Power ground probably could be grounded to the chassis, but the signal ground is the reference for all the sensors, any extra resistance there will throw off the sensor readings. My engine swap harnesses are completely grounded through the block, no grounds into the bulkhead harness or chassis.

You'll have to pick through the grounding and engine control diagrams and make sure all are present, and have continuity across them.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, Skubaskott said:

I have cut out a lot of stuff and that included many wires I assume to be grounds. How can I be sure I properly ground this harness!?

When cutting down a harness, you can’t assume before you cut. You must know what that wire does for the ECU before it’s cut out - or left alone. There are many wires that T off to oblivion, generally get rid of the oblivion wire while keeping the bit between the ECU and where ever it goes to engine or sensor. 

Earth wiring is typically black with white trace and from memory it might have a single or double gold dot. Wiring thickness will vary as many small earth wires come into the larger earth wire. 

There will be small earth wires that need to be cut out (from a T point) as these go to things we don’t need for a conversion. These earth wire ends need to be insulated for protection from damage later down the track (potentially to other wiring). 

If you have all the factory chassis earth points you’ll be good to go, no need to add extra earth points unless you really want to, I don’t see the point though. 

There’s no need to touch the engine wiring harness. Leave it on the intake manifold and plug it in once your cut down loom is fitted to the vehicle ;)  

All the best with it! 

Cheers 

Bennie