Ultimate Subaru Message Board

insides of a square AC compressor (pics)

my compressor shot out oil and freon when I tried to charge it so I tore it down to replace some seals...I didnt know it was rotary-powered! thought someone might want to see what it looks like. If you have any questions, let me know...

FYI, the ac now blows cold, but the car likes to stall at a stop, and the car loses lots of go. the car idles high, like at 1200rpm, and when the ac is on, it drops to like 500-600 rpm if it doesnt die. I disconnected the comp. wire and turned the ac on and the rpms jump for a fraction of a second and then drops back down. belt tension is ok, ig timing is a few deg retarded, any ideas? more pag oil? Fix idle and timing? Could this be from my cams?

post-3036-136027592876_thumb.jpg

post-3036-13602759288_thumb.jpg

post-3036-136027592882_thumb.jpg

post-3036-136027592884_thumb.jpg

post-3036-136027592886_thumb.jpg

it's not rotary, just 3 vane, like a hydraulic motor or pump

oil to spec, then add a can of conditoner, then freon

did you evacuate after rebuild?

is EVERYTHING hooked up right?

my carb usually idles at 1000, turn on the air and it goes to 600, no idle compensator -- I removed it

everything is hooked up right...I put in the r134a with the pag oil in it (about 16oz), then conditioner (4oz), then just refridgerant until it was up to spec. I dont know how much oil was needed for the compressor or the dryer which I replaced. I did not evacuate the system, I was told I would not have to. What are the benefits of this? Do you know where I can check to see if my idle compensator works?

WTF DID YOU DO WITH THE OIL? DIDN'T YOU READ "5.1 oz" OIL IS REQUIRED! :eek: evacuate to remove the AIR, it has moisture, impurities, and is VERY hard on the system

IF it is carb, you have a vac. line, controller, and the compensator, look by the pas. side of carb and for what I marked in red

post-1818-136027592894_thumb.jpg

is that 5.1oz just for the compressor? The guy at the store said the oil in the charge cans should be proportional to whats needed in my system. there should be about 6-8oz total in there now...a couple other guys on the board said they just charged their empty (not evacuated) r12 systems and they worked fine...I guess they didnt open the system though. I might just have to evacuate this and re-do it. How much oil should there be in the whole thing? I could not find the info...were you telling me that I had too much, or not enough?

oh, I think I see. Did you think I put 16oz of oil in there? No way! that was 16oz pag oil/r134a I think there is like 2-4 oz of oil in those cans. I used one 12oz can with 8-10oz freon and 2-4oz oil and one can with 4oz of just pag oil and stop leak

If you converted to R134a from R-12 you better hope you got all the R12 out, if not you have just created about two pounds of hazardous waste tha will cost about $400 to dispose of legally. Evacuating the system ensures all the old refrigerant is out, as is any moisture and impurites.

Proper way to do an R-12 retrofit is to have a shop evacuate the R-12 (most will do it for free since the R-12 tha is removed is worth about $20 a pound) and then pull a vacuum fro 15 minutes or so.. Maybe overnigth if it's been open for a while.. then install the new O-rings if necesary, and then the oil and refrigerant...

as for your idle problem, I think your IUCD (Idle Up Control Device) is bad, or one of the vacuum lines to it or the solenoid that engages it is bad. Pull the vacuum line from the IUCD and apply vacuum, IUCD plunger should move. If it does not, replace IUCD. If it does move, check lines and solenoid.