Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I have a 1999 Leagcy Outback Limited 30th Ann wagon that I am trying to add a factory CD changer to. I found a factory changer on eBay but it did not come with the connecting cable. I asked the seller what happened to the orginal cable. He said that he did no remove the cable when his lease was up. I contacted AuburnSubaru.com to get a replacement They exhausted their knowledge trying to find one. According to Auburn the only way to get another cable is to order a new changer. Turns out the Limited 30th Ann model had a unique in-dash unit and changer. After stricking out with Subaru, I went to Partsolver.com. I found three cables. I contacted them to figure out what cable it could be. According to Partsolver all 3 cables are no longer avaiable.

So here I am at USMB looking for help.

I know that each end of the cable should have a 12 pin rectangular connector. No RCA or Din. The changer has an additional spade conn. I am guessing this is a ground. See pic. The part model # of the changer is H6240AS200.

If anyone has a changer like mine please contact me. I would be greatful if you could look on it for a part number or help out with any additional info.

Thanks

Pete

post-2276-136027592889_thumb.gif

I realize you may have already bought the changer, but if it is anything like the one in my '99 OBW, my recommendation is: Don't. My changer is a POS. Skips when there is even the slightest bit of dust on the CD, some CDs it won't play at all, and the changer was apparently never sold in the US, so the only way you can get a replacement cassette is to buy one from Subaru for about $50. (BTW, this may be why you can't find the cable you need. The only place I've ever been able to see replacement cassettes for this particular changer is on the German E-bay.)

Mine is a Panasonic, can't remember the model number and I'm not in the US where my car is, so I can't check.

If there is a way to add a different CD changer, you'd be much better off doing that. Maybe a changer from a newer Subaru? As for me, I'd like to replace the whole head unit, except that I love the Weather band radio.

I realize this is off topic but isn't the 30th anniversary edition a 98 model year? That's how mine was sold to me. It's got the 30th badge and all the options seem correct but it's supposed to be a 98. :confused:

Why would you want a factory unit just so it matches? Because they generally suck from what ever car company.For the amount of time and money your puttin in to this you could just get like a jvc or something.

My outback came with a factory sub that sits under the driver seat. It also has component speakers in the front doors. I got the changer for $50 on ebay. Seemed like a good deal to me. Little did I know that finding the cable would be such a b*&$ch.

I use to have a killer system in a 96 ext cab K1500. Xtant amp, eclipse CD, JL sub, Boston ProSeries components in the doors. Had to sell it due to 2 kids. The OEM Subaru stuff plays Barney and Friends sing your favorite's just fine. (ha ha)

Later

Pete