Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo clutch pedal assy V's non turbo - EA82

jono

can anybody relay the differences in clutch pedal feel between the turbo models and non turbos ?

The RX at least, the earliest EA82 RX had a rather complex though sturdier ? arrangement for the clutch pedal and cable.

RHD use the same cable between most non turbo and the RX from what I can gather.

Just is there any pedal feel benefit ?

It will most certainly mean pedal box out to swap clutch cables on a RHD.

I intend to modify the upper mounts (extend, plate weld and drill mounting holes I think) to fit the EA82 pedal box into my 89 EA81 utility rather than modify the EA81 pedal box to take EA82 cable and 5 MT

the presure plate dictates the feel of the clutch the cable has nothing to do with it every manufacturers clutches have a different feel to them and some times from clutch to clutch by the same manufacturer my feelings about it is u will get used to it in time as its costly and or time consuming to change them out just becuse you dont like the feel unless its realy stiff and hurting your knee in witch case resurch presure plates and let us know or a longer pedle would do it to but it would have to be alot longer to make a differance are the ea82 pedles longer  than the ea81 pedles if so how much longer i dought it would be enuff to make a differance though and to much longer and its gona hit the floor or be uncomfortable on your foot

Edited by ferp420

the presure plate dictates the feel of the clutch the cable has nothing to do with it every manufacturers clutches have a different feel to them and some times from clutch to clutch by the same manufacturer

No.....In this case the pedal boxe do have something to do with it.  The cables are the same relatively, but the mechanisms are different.

There is a spring that assists in the holding down of the clutch so you don't feel the slightly higher clamp force as a pain in the knee.  The spring is on a funky pivot so it kinda "locks out" at a certain point then "pops" back over to unloaded when the clutch is released.

• Like 1

Yes, thanks to both of you so far having replied. To the uninitiated, the RX pedal box is a complex looking beast - much like how a Vortex XT clutch pedal arrangement is. Not a simple explain as a longer leverage there looks to be more pivot points, bit like adding another pulley to ease lift a load on a multi pulley set up with ropes etc. My apologies, I should have included a pic. It is more like a luxury item :) I may need to pioneer this. I got the pedal box out of what left factory as a 3 speed auto 4WD turbo sedan - GLTA. When I converted my other GLTA I used the std pedal box from the donor touring wagon. Pedal was soft as, with nice valeo pressure plate.

I plan to fit this RX pedal box up to an MY Brumby gen2 while still running an EA81 4 speed, but in preparation for EA82T AWD 5MT SR conversion

Edited by jono

Righto - here comes a pic of RX pedal box featuring the  different pedal system - cable is same length IF the cable that came on it was original.

Pretty tricky to take one shot and see it all.

The pedal does not have the crank off to 90 degrees above the pivot. There is a whole lot more levers and swing pivot points

DSC06402_zps8bbda757.jpg

maybe this shot will bump my thread :) and give a better look at themechanism involved to add ruggedness to the RX.

The brownish lever (cable attachment smaller hole) to the right of the pic with two holes in it is all one fixed piece with the brownish cylinder of pipe u see below it, and the nut on the stud. The stud holds a roller surface that rolls against the clutch pedal mating slider surface...if you see what I mean ?? You can't see the roller mating surface of the pedal shaft, is below top of pedal in pic, but can be saeen in picture above this one :) As well, you will see where an EA82 clutch cable securing point fits to the box nicely.

Plan is to fit it into my Brumby, swap EA81 accy pedal for its more suitable shape with floor etc. The top mounting point needs to be extended to make up for the EA81 extra length in this spot. The plan is for a 5 speed of some sort from EA82 range. Just wondering if the extra 9mm of travel at the pedal over EA81 travel is going to affect adversely, the 4 speed clutching untiil EA82 box is in I just want to be able to test drive the four speed to assess it for suitable sale..good ones are fetching good money :)

DSC06404_zps44d9ad72.jpg

Edited by jono