Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 Rx Coupe

6 Star

This guy got a new toy  :brow:

I was surfing Craigslist the other day and spotted this 1987 Rx coupe in Spanaway.

The price was right, but the car is by no means perfect.

It had its passenger window smashed out some time before the owner put it up for sale.

The driver window is off the track, and the switch to operate it is finicky.
There is a fair bit of surface rust on its posterior, and some cancer in the trunk lid and around the seal.

The passenger seat belt wont lock under a forceful tug, such as it should during a crash.
The driver seat belt is only there to prevent The Popo from giving you a ticket, completely inoperable.
The cooling fan will not come on, the radiator is being cooled only from the a/c condenser fan.

The front cv axles are sounding terrible, even going straight.
Also the bearings and brakes need some attention.
The driver door only locks from the outside, and I have not messed with the passenger side much.
(Wouldn't want to damage the structural integrity of the p/o's tape job hehe)
But the passenger door opens and latches as it should.

Rear defroster is not working

Extensive sun damage to the rear seat top

Wear on driver's seat bolster from entry/exit
The hood latch cable is broken, and a homemade latch pull was installed in the grill.
I'm guessing this mod is the reason behind the missing grill.

The bracket holding the power steering pump is cracked, letting the whole unit wobble in place.
Also the power steering is very noisy when turning the wheel.

But its not all bad news

The car has about 120,000 miles

The turbo works, as well as the cool turbo indicator on the dash.
Full Time 4wd w/ Hi and Lo range, Center locking Diff, and LSD rear end  :wub:

Rear disk brakes

Front and rear sway bars

(Duh its a Rx)

Heater, Front and rear wipers, radio all work

All original bumpers, trim, ground kit, wing, and hubcaps

No major dents or dings to be seen

Glass (minus passenger window) is all beautiful

Headliner is intact and not scarred

Rear cargo cover is intact and funtional

Adjustable height and lumbar settings on the driver seat

I drove the Rx all the way from Spanaway to Seattle, some of the drive was side streets, and most of it freeway.

No shimmy or shake, but I noticed the temp would creep up to an alarming position almost in the "Red".

On the freeway in 5th, 55-60mph had the engine at 3k rpm. This sustained rpm was not this EA82T's cup of tea.

The temp gauge never moved from its almost "Danger zone" position unless if I would slow down a bit.
Using the turbo also would make the temp rise, so I would try to keep my foot out of it.

Exterior

10425873_987532074597347_870648095923729

10410870_987532157930672_402464549203944

1800399_987532101264011_2378338658611206

10373991_987532111264010_810754481017363

Engine Bay

10645147_987532457930642_453542758864398

The Rust

10846465_987532194597335_251088014832688

10868040_987532251263996_637930958015053

10428602_987532231263998_196805105059268

Interior

10599283_987532267930661_368940428953784

10849732_987532461263975_313840539957604

10849898_987532207930667_585099161640040

Some Pron 

10849941_987532281263993_276402888500282

10731117_987532417930646_472960725759252

10169321_987532497930638_303490119106815

Now I have a couple questions

I know that the window that needs replacing is coupe specific.
But does it matter if it comes out of a manual or electric window car? Mine are electric

Also, who has one for sale?  :D

The grill is missing, who has a coupe specific one for sale?

And lastly, I found this hose undone and plugged behind the intake manifold. (See pic below)
I'm guessing its for the pcv?

I'm not familiar with the EA82T, but why would someone do that?

10846097_987532007930687_346308086713556

What plans do I have for it?
I'm not sure at the moment, but I do want to get this thing running the way it should be.
In the future maybe this thing will get an EJ, this is a deserving chassis for that swap to say the least.

And since I have to do some bodywork, I think this thing would look awesome with a rally livery.
But only time will tell, life tends to get in the way of my projects haha.

Straight and well optioned... Great find and this will be an pretty easy resto. Enjoy it.

Thanks! I'm still drooling over your Brat btw. My '85 Brat is jealous. That Datsun Roadster you are starting on looks like it will be a lot of fun.

If you go the ej route and use a ej transmission i want the 5 speed awd d/r tans and rear lsd.

The instincts of a piranha.  :grin:

Sorry Turbo, but all of that stuff would stay if I did the EJ swap. Why put in a EJ trans when this one is as good if not better?

nice find! i picked up my 01/87 RX in about the same condition... except with a mass amount of electrical problems  :banghead:

but my new CCR rebuilt EA82T w/3rd gen heads might go into it eventually  :headbang:

Thank you! Electrical problems suck. Sounds like you have a sweet engine in the works.

Lucky bugger!  I SO BADLY want one of these... and you guys say we got all the good stuff over here, well we sure missed out on this beauty!

Sorry Turbo, but all of that stuff would stay if I did the EJ swap. Why put in a EJ trans when this one is as good if not better?

If you're going for all out performance go with an EJ box - these locking centre diff gearboxes are very precious Subaru material!  Technically the centre diff is inferior to its later model counterparts.  It's not hard to spin a front wheel when accelerating through a tight corner even when dry due to the diff being open...

Personally I love my AWD L series box, but I've also got easy access to gearsets from dual range EJ gearboxes that I'm currently exercising :(

I'm looking forward to seeing this restored to its former glory, EJ or not.

Cheers

Bennie

Lucky bugger!  I SO BADLY want one of these... and you guys say we got all the good stuff over here, well we sure missed out on this beauty!

If you're going for all out performance go with an EJ box - these locking centre diff gearboxes are very precious Subaru material!  Technically the centre diff is inferior to its later model counterparts.  It's not hard to spin a front wheel when accelerating through a tight corner even when dry due to the diff being open...

Personally I love my AWD L series box, but I've also got easy access to gearsets from dual range EJ gearboxes that I'm currently exercising :(

I'm looking forward to seeing this restored to its former glory, EJ or not.

Cheers

Bennie

Haha you guys did get a lot of the good stuff. Usually any Japanese Domestic Market vehicle that we get is like the Bud Light of automobiles.

I know these old drivetrains are pretty volatile when you start to add too much power to them. Most likely the EJ would be a n/a EJ22, just for its good power and reliability. If I really wanted to get crazy maybe a stock EJ22T out of the Legacy SS would go in.

These swaps are all over my head though, I would have to do a ton more research.

My swap experiences with Subaru include;

Stock-to-stock engine swaps on EA81 and EA82 chassis'

And putting a Weber on my EA82 lol

The most extensive swap I've done was on my Honda Crx (eat your heart out Honda haters)

I converted the car from OBD0 to OBD1 and installed a B16A2 (similar to the Crx Sir in Japan, which came stock with a B16A)

I'm excited to get the ball rolling on this RX. I just wish I had more free time haha.

I've just noticed that in your spare wheel well that seam at the back is not sealed with factory sealer - DO NOT use sealer here!  My L series has not got any and has no rust in this area.  Several other wrecks I've seen (and have as parts) have this section sealed and painted from the factory, all have rust in there!  Not a nice place to work on!

The EJ22 is a great conversion to do!  If you spend the time getting your head around the wiring you can bench test your engine and wiring before installing in the vehicle - that's what I did with mine.

My L series also runs this gearbox but the dual range version that's been "tricked up" a little bit for offroading.  I've just stuffed 2nd gear so I'm in the process of replacing the gearsets with something newer.  It's just taking time.

You can read about that thread here if you wish.

If you want to see more of my ride just google Ruby Scoo Ausubaru or Youtube it ;)

So like all good projects, what's the start date that will be missed? :P

Regards

Bennie

I've just noticed that in your spare wheel well that seam at the back is not sealed with factory sealer - DO NOT use sealer here!  My L series has not got any and has no rust in this area.  Several other wrecks I've seen (and have as parts) have this section sealed and painted from the factory, all have rust in there!  Not a nice place to work on!

The EJ22 is a great conversion to do!  If you spend the time getting your head around the wiring you can bench test your engine and wiring before installing in the vehicle - that's what I did with mine.

My L series also runs this gearbox but the dual range version that's been "tricked up" a little bit for offroading.  I've just stuffed 2nd gear so I'm in the process of replacing the gearsets with something newer.  It's just taking time.

You can read about that thread here if you wish.

If you want to see more of my ride just google Ruby Scoo Ausubaru or Youtube it ;)

So like all good projects, what's the start date that will be missed? :P

Regards

Bennie

I'm surprised you could see that seal there with the crappy quality of my photographs haha.

I'll have to see if I can remove it, it was like that when I bought the car.

I've seen your wagon in some threads before, what a machine.  B)

Posted up a wanted ad for the missing window.

Also I started to clean out the filth from the interior. These guys must have liked to dine on the go a lot.

In the glove box I mopped out a goo that I can only relate to soy sauce, but had no odor.

Also in the glove box was a goo-covered, 80's-tastic family photograph.

In the ash tray (which is also broken) there were ashes that resembled cremated remains.

Under the steering wheel cover there was a layer of splashed beverage sediment.

The rear seat is pretty nasty, I'm guessing this is where the sticky-fingered-children resided.

In the auxiliary ashtray for the passengers in the back (the one in the middle console) there was more soy sauce goo.

There are still bits of broken glass throughout the interior from when the window was smashed out as well.

I'll have this thing spiffy in no time, or clean at least.

Edited by 6 Star