Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dashboard/Interior wiring scematic

Im putting my dash and interior back together, and ive plugged in everything that obviously goes together.

And now im having several problems.

For 1, if i turn on the headlights, or the heater fan, theres a buzzing from under the dash, and the fuel pump kicks on. Wtf

And i know there are going to be leftover plugs, for options the car doesnt have..but that leaves me with too many options as to what can go to what. I didnt tag anything because it all looked so easy really, with the shape and colors of the male/female connectors all matching (or so i thought)

My chiltons is about as useless as a manual can get, and i cant find diddly on the internet.

Help!

You could search for a wiring diagram on the internet, or better yet, get the Dealer shop repair manual - these are expensive, but worth thier weight in gold, and will also have the wiring diagrams.

Don't know what model you have, but the more recent, the better your chances of finding such materials, if not a color wiring diagram. In the future, maybe label such things as you take them apart of course.

In the mean time, examine what you have there - one clue is the natural bend of the wires and harnesses that will show you where they want to go, and thus probably went.

If you have multiple possible connectors for a particular one, that will actually fit, then exactly how many choices are there - probably not many. Which ones will actually reach to the other? and again, note the natural bends of the wire/harness.

Is one harness end really dusty?, then the other end will likely also be dusty. One is clean ? the end other likely also.

Alsobe aware of those tabs that bend to hold the wires/harness in place, they may also point things out.

Keep the battery disconnected while fooling around with these things, and that way if you plug something together wrong you will not fry anything while trying to figure it out.

Keep your head about you, be patient, look at things from different angles and perspectives, See how things naturally want to lay or hang or go. Take a break, and then look a little later with fresh eyes again.

I'll bet that you will be able to figure out most of it this way anyway.

Oh sorry, its an 84 GL wagon.

Subaruist,

Thats exactly what i did. Used the clues to determine what should go where. And am still coming up short.

And my internet searches were totally fruitless. I just may have to break down and buy a shop manual for it.

Maybe forums have made me lazy(er)...i was hoping somebody could say, "oh yeah i have a pdf, let me send it to ya"

Tom,

ThankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouThankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouThankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouThankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouThankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouThankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouThankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouThankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! etc etc

That is going to help so much

• Like 1

You might stillwant to get the shop manual. They are wonderful.

I can work my way through most things, so i probably wont. Dont get me wrong, i understand the value of an actual shop manual!

Electrical systems are my achilles heel....but Dr. Tom hooked me up, so i should be set.