Ultimate Subaru Message Board

check engine light EGR question

Eliminating the EGR will it cause my check engine light to come on?

because the code that keeps coming up says its the EGR solenoid

Or is it just the solenoid That may be no good

Oh yeah I'm working on a 92 loyal The one I did the 4 wheel drive conversion on if you read that thread

The picture I included is obviously where the EGR used to be

Figured it out didn't realize there was supposed to be two solenoids

I dug around the shop and I found it plugged it in and the code went away

and I'm still running with no EGR whatsoever the solenoids I just plugged

them in to the harness and left the vacuum lines off of the solenoids

Plugged what vacuum lines I needed to up

now I just need to get a coolant sending unit and the check engine light should stay completely off

I assume that is what is wrong because the code comes up and I can unplug the sending unit at the

plug and it still reads the same thing at the ecu

Yep all the codes are now cleared on my 92 Loyale four wheel drive conversion car All except for every now and then when I'm driving the check engine light will come on and its code 51 neutral switch how are they talking about the switch at the pedal or is it something to do with the sending unit in the transmission I assume it is talking about at the pedals can anyone tell me if I'm right or wrong ?

The Neutral Switch grounds the Yellow/Green wire Pin 14 on the mid-size connector at the ECU.

Pin 14 is below the release tab of the connector.

If your trans doesn't have the switch, you could wire in a switch mounted to the clutch pedal.

You want a switch that closes when you push the pedal, a brake light switch would work.

Splice into the Yellow/Green wire, run that to the switch. Other side of switch would be a wire ran to a ground point.

Can somebody give me a list of make / model / year that should have an EGR that I can swap out to my Loyale?  I checked at my local pull-a-part for Toyota Corrolla and all they had were 89, 91, 93 and up.....  I could not find an EGR valve as pictured on DaveT's web site...  I looked at the Accords, but they were a different style all together....

Edited by The-Big-E

I picked up a solenoid from a 93 Corolla, don't know if it was for an EGR valve.... It was mounted right behind the engine on the firewall.....  It ohm'ed out at 32.9, so I thought I would at least try it.  So far so good.....  CEL is out for now.....

Edited by The-Big-E

The one I used was from a late 80's Toyota.  There were at least a few of those solenoids used in the car.  What they were used for doesn't matter, I never knew.  As long as there are 3 ports, you can figure out which way to connect them.

If needed, I can go test which port is the default.  I don't remember if the EGR valve was normally [ un powered ] routed to the vent, or the vacuum.

Well.....  I was on my way to get my inspection done when the pesky CEL came on again.....  Checked codes and got a 32....  Any idea on what year and model will replace a 90 Subaru Loyale O2 sensor or is it best to just replace it with a new one?

Edited by The-Big-E

I grabbed mine off a Ford Tempo. You can use any vac solenoid really. Pick a car, find the egr valve. Trace the vac line and when it gets to something with wires connected to it, that's your solenoid. Can always take a peek at the vac diagram under the hood too, if it's still there.