Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

intercooled folks..

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 mentis

mentis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:47 AM

Oh it's not that stuff got in, because, yes, you did tape it up :). I just figured since it was used it's probably got a little bit of deposits inside it. I haven't installed it yet though. I will let you know when I do however. Thanks!

#27 mentis

mentis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:26 PM

Okay. I am about ready to install that IC. I noticed that there is a short hose that goes to the bottom of the factory "intercooler" and connects to the thermostat and temp sensor unit. So my question is, what does that hose do, and do I need to connect it to the IC somehow? Thanks!

#28 88rxsedan

88rxsedan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • san antionio

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:34 PM

Okay. I am about ready to install that IC. I noticed that there is a short hose that goes to the bottom of the factory "intercooler" and connects to the thermostat and temp sensor unit. So my question is, what does that hose do, and do I need to connect it to the IC somehow? Thanks!

thats for the cold idle, it needs to be plumbed in somewhere behind the maf..

#29 mentis

mentis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:37 PM

thats for the cold idle, it needs to be plumbed in somewhere behind the maf..

I do apologize for my ignorance, but could you please tell me what the "maf" stands for?

#30 BobBrumby

BobBrumby

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:56 PM

mass air flow i think

#31 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:11 PM

Yep, MASS AIR FLOW. Its a sensor that tells the ECU how much air is entering the engine. The idle control valve needs to be plumbed in somewhere between the MAF and the throttle body.

I believe a stock WRX or STi TMIC will do just fine for anything...short of a VF34 or VF22 running something like 20+ PSI. Ive got a stock WRX TMIC, and one of those hood scoops like calebz has waiting to go on. Its a WRX imitation scoop...can be found on ebay sometimes. Cost me $15. :banana:

#32 mentis

mentis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:43 PM

Um, okay, so even if it does stand for "mass air flow," I'm afraid I still do not know what that is. I am new to all this, so I guess I just need a more detailed explanation :D.

#33 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 12 July 2004 - 02:53 AM

the MAF is the guy right off the air filter housing.

btw any one want to get rid of a wrx IC for trade of a proven VW intercooler set up?

the new turbo set up I am going to run will not work with this IC. it works great with a stock turbo though. definatly requires hood mods. I might let the hood go with IC as a pair as it already has a scoop made for it. oh and I plumed the idle control hose directly to the IC.

#34 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:06 AM

I plumbed the idle control hose directly to the IC.

As did I. On the RX7 IC, theres a spot for it there already.. Just run a hose from the AAV to the IC(provided your IC has a small vaccum fitting or 2 coming off of it) and you're good to go..

#35 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:22 AM

hey i almost topmounted the saab 9k intercooler i have... but the size of the scoop needed to make it work correctly would have been hideous

.. and yes the 9k intercooler will fit int he spare tire area... barely :)

glad i won't be using a maf soon :)

#36 mentis

mentis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:39 AM

Cool. Thanks guys. That IC I got from 88 has what looks like two small vacuum fittings, but they seem to be plugged? Can you confirm this, 88? I am wondering if you used those or if you patched it in somewhere else. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users