Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my wife finally drove the RX

I was doing upper ball joints on her Suburban and she need to take my daughter into town, she asks “should I just take your car”, sure I said. After a bit I hear her pull up and she comes straight into the shop and with a big grin she says, “That car screams to de driven fast, I was like Vroom, Vroom, Vroom” (making shifter moves with her hand). I said, “Its fun isn’t it”. Then as she’s walking out of the shop she says “I want that engine in my Bug”. :eek: So anybody got an EA82T laying around for cheap and a good plan to stuff it into a custom ’59 Beatle convertible.:-\ :rolleyes:

Gary

P.S. I'd love to do it if I could get it all under the deck lid and find a place to hide the radiator.

a place for the radiator, huh well you could take out the back seat and make a neat cover for it so it looks like a seat? just a thought. I'm going to put one in the back of my RX soon (a radiator that is)

Guest taprackready
good plan to stuff it into a custom ’59 Beatle convertible.:-\ :rolleyes:

Gary

P.S. I'd love to do it if I could get it all under the deck lid and find a place to hide the radiator.

Kennedy engineering makes the adapter to the VW transaxle. For the Rad, put in the boot (front trunk) area where the spare tire goes louver the hood, electric fan setup. Would work just fine.

Bill

Don't use an ea82. You'll have to carve a lot of metal out of the back of that bug. If it was a '75 super, then I'd say go ahead. But you would be mangling a '59 'vert.

Use an EA81, EJ18, EJ20, EJ22, EJ25. You can probably cram the turbo up in there somewhere, if you wanted to go w/ wrx engine.

Yeah, I’ve seen quite a few Subie conversions EA and EJ, for my (wifes) car the real challenge is the radiator, with the look of the car any openings or lovers would be very out of place (see pics). And taking up any cargo/passenger space is out of the question, this is her summer time kid hauler and grocery getter. I was running a mild 1835cc (cam, dual 40s and such) in it for a while and she was pretty happy with that, I had to pull it due to a case crack across the oil gallery (my fault, head studs got loose). I think the best option for this car is to build another HiPo VW engine.

I am currently building a fiberglass dune buggy that will start out with an 1800cc typeIV engine and trans (’74 bus), But a Subie conversion could be in its future.

Gary

Vert1.jpg

Vert2.jpg