Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So my wife finally drove the RX

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:24 PM

I was doing upper ball joints on her Suburban and she need to take my daughter into town, she asks “should I just take your car”, sure I said. After a bit I hear her pull up and she comes straight into the shop and with a big grin she says, “That car screams to de driven fast, I was like Vroom, Vroom, Vroom” (making shifter moves with her hand). I said, “Its fun isn’t it”. Then as she’s walking out of the shop she says “I want that engine in my Bug”. :eek: So anybody got an EA82T laying around for cheap and a good plan to stuff it into a custom ’59 Beatle convertible.:-\ :rolleyes:

Gary

P.S. I'd love to do it if I could get it all under the deck lid and find a place to hide the radiator.

#2 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:53 PM

a place for the radiator, huh well you could take out the back seat and make a neat cover for it so it looks like a seat? just a thought. I'm going to put one in the back of my RX soon (a radiator that is)

#3 THAWA

THAWA

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Sac

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:02 PM

tell her to buy a subaru :)

#4 Guest_taprackready_*

Guest_taprackready_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

good plan to stuff it into a custom ’59 Beatle convertible.:-\ :rolleyes:

Gary

P.S. I'd love to do it if I could get it all under the deck lid and find a place to hide the radiator.

Kennedy engineering makes the adapter to the VW transaxle. For the Rad, put in the boot (front trunk) area where the spare tire goes louver the hood, electric fan setup. Would work just fine.

Bill

#5 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

or you could Baja the bug LOL

#6 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:18 PM

tell her you've been looking around and that "honey, it would be easier to find a WRX engine for your bug than one of these slower older ones, there's not very many of them left".. see where that gets you ;)

#7 jake15

jake15

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Spanaway, WA

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:20 PM

my brother has a ea82t from his fwd turbo in tacoma if anyone happens to want to buy a rebuilt 12,000 miles ago engine to put in their wifes beatle......

#8 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:54 AM

How much does he want for it?

#9 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:43 AM

Don't use an ea82. You'll have to carve a lot of metal out of the back of that bug. If it was a '75 super, then I'd say go ahead. But you would be mangling a '59 'vert.

Use an EA81, EJ18, EJ20, EJ22, EJ25. You can probably cram the turbo up in there somewhere, if you wanted to go w/ wrx engine.

#10 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:11 AM

Here's my EJ22 powered bug. Although the rear deck is off, it fits no problem. The rad is hidden up front, and it cools well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:44 AM

Yeah, I’ve seen quite a few Subie conversions EA and EJ, for my (wifes) car the real challenge is the radiator, with the look of the car any openings or lovers would be very out of place (see pics). And taking up any cargo/passenger space is out of the question, this is her summer time kid hauler and grocery getter. I was running a mild 1835cc (cam, dual 40s and such) in it for a while and she was pretty happy with that, I had to pull it due to a case crack across the oil gallery (my fault, head studs got loose). I think the best option for this car is to build another HiPo VW engine.

I am currently building a fiberglass dune buggy that will start out with an 1800cc typeIV engine and trans (’74 bus), But a Subie conversion could be in its future.

Gary

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 jake15

jake15

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Spanaway, WA

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:39 PM

here's a link to the engine info- http://forums.nasioc...&highlight=ea82

#13 Scoobywagon

Scoobywagon

Evil Genius (tm) for Hire

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Bremerton-like

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:39 PM

How about fabbing up a whale tail and placing the radiator inside the faux whale tail?

#14 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:54 PM

is that a vanagon overflow tank I see in there? and Cool lookin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users