Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, I have a 1999 obs AT and ive been thinking about a rebuild until I read the forums on that.  So I think I've found on here that the best swap is my ej223 to a ej251/3.  Is this correct? My motor is burning oil and has less compression and power and still stock head gaskets at 280k miles and I'm starting to lose coolant somewhere so I'm thinking its time to upgrade the motor.

are you sure the engine isn't worth repairing?

do a leak down test - maybe the block is good and you need valve stem seals?

google search it - others have swapped those engines.  you won't get the benefits of the VVT so your 173 hp engine will only be 165, those components will go unused.

your EJ22 intake manifold bolts up to the EJ25 engine just fine.

the EJ22 exhaust manifold is only a single port exhaust, the Ej25 is dual port exhaust - you'll need a EJ25 exhaust manifold.

you could entertain bolting your EJ22 heads to an EJ25 block - your Phase II EJ22 and Phase II EJ25 heads are essentially the same - same valve part numbers and intake manifold bolt pattern.  replace the valve stem seals first.

swapping heads would be a work around for the exhaust issue and any VVT stuff in the heads.

The best you can do is put a 99-01 251 in there. You might be able to use up to 03-04 range but I'm not sure.

Use your current intake manifold on the 251 long block.

The VVT stuff isn't viable for your year. They changed to the Canbus setup for the computer when they started using the VVT. That's a whole harness and ECU swap and some more wiring on top to keep the computer from throwing codes all the time.

thanks a lot guys.  I'll do a leak down test. Here's hoping for bad valve seals but I burn a quart every 800 miles on the interstate so i doubt it  :( .  Have either of you guys done this swap?  I've noticed guys usually go from the 2.5 to the 2.2. Why? is it a noticeable power gain from the 2.2 to 2.5?

"done this swap"....i've done swaps but i'm unsure what swap you mean since we've mentioned a few options.  i haven't done a VVT swap.

I've heard of people putting the VVT engines in older vehicles - like yours.  It just won't be able to use/actuate any of the VVT stuff, so you'll have no gains. they'll just sit there unused.  Woudln't want to pay a premium for it, but if you found one really cheap it might be worth looking into.

People swap from 2.5 to 2.2 because it is a more reliable and cheaper to maintain engine.  Google "EJ25 headgasket" and you'll see the 10's of thousands of hits that make peopel want to avoid that engine.  Considering it's only 165 hp anyway and has slow 1/4 mile and 0-60 times a performance minded person won't like either of those engines so power only matters to a select few - for novelty or towing or other aggressive use.

sorry, I meant ej22 to ej251 or 253 without the vvt since its useless.  I want to put a hitch on mine but after driving through Colorado with it loaded down, moving west, I realized how little towing power the 2.2 has; 40 mph in a 70 is no fun  :P .  I know altitude has a part to play but the bigger motor would be nice if it was about the same price or cheaper and I've heard they are easier to find.  I'm still really hoping for a fixable motor though.  This ej22 is approaching 300k and still on the original head gaskets.  That'll never happen with the 2.5

99 Forester and Impreza RS EJ25's and 2000-2004 EJ25's without valve stuffs are direct swaps.  You're only swapping the long blocks, so it's easy, no electrical to deal with or worry about.

Here is what you need to know to swap those engines into your 1999 EJ22:

1.  EJ22's are single port exhaust, EJ25's are dual port exhaust.

You need an EJ25 exhaust manifold if you want to use the EJ25 long block.

If you bolt the EJ22 heads onto the EJ25 block then you can use your current EJ22 exhaust manifold.  But with 300k and oil issues that might not be a good fit.

EJ25 exhaust manifolds re easily found, I dont' even bother holding on them, i scrap them.  But yards often won't sell them due to laws.

Post in the parts wanted forum here if you can'jt get one locally.

2.  Swap the drivers side EJ22 cam sprocket and crank sprocket.  Alternately you can just count the trigger marks on the back - there are two different styles, just make sure they match.  If you retain the original pulleys to the original vehicle, then no need to count or worry - it'll work every time.

3.  Bolt EJ22 intake manifold onto the EJ25.  (that does not work with older EJ22's but it does with 1999+).

4.  EGR - if you or your state require EGR/emissions/no check engine light - then you'll need to match EGR. 

A. If yours has EGR you have two options:  get one with EGR or get one without EGR and read up on the bypass thread in this forum to prevent the check engine light

It is possible to install your EGR intake onto a non-EGR block and do a work around - the thread in this forum describes how to do that.

B. If yours doesn't have EGR you can use an engine from either - you'll just have to block off the EGR in the head of the donor engine, very simple to do.

***If the VVT engines can be used, which I have heard others that said it can be done (though the valve stuffs wont' be used), it's the same swap as outlined above.  The VVT engines and non-VVT engines are nearly identical minus the valve controller stuffs.

Edited by grossgary