Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just had a crazy idea..

So I was just thinking, anyone ever done a 6x6 wagon?

My thought was take a wagon, cut it off right after the rear diff, take another wagon cut it right before the rear subframe. then weld the rear section onto the other wagon. might have to put a few peices of sheet metal to smooth it out and make rear side windows out of diamond plate unless you wanted to have custom rear side windows made. as for the 6x6 part, take the middle rear diff and another spare diff and mill the gear casing off to where it was just a pinion and case and then mill the cover on the other diff and weld the ouput pinion to the cover to make a diff with a pass through and then the rear most diff flipped upside down to spin it the right way..

fuel system would be easy, just slightly longer fuel hoses from the rear section

brakes wouldn't be an issue, the rear most wheel don't really need brakes, but a couple simple adjustable proportioning valves would let you make some lines to the rear most wheels.

only thing I think that might be an issue would be binding between the two rear diffs in sharp turns.

just rambling basically but some time in the future when I have a good welder I'll get a couple cheap wagons and give it a shot. 

just a rough, VERY ROUGH idea. stole the pic from suberdave lol just imagine it lifted 4" or so

Just thought I'd put the idea in someones head and see where it goes.

W4NqtZ.jpg

Edited by AKghandi
  • Like 2

I've had this thought before - but that's about as far as it got.

A Datsun 720 transfer case with the low range blanked out with a set of short nose nissan/datsun diffs in the rear there would make it all work in my imagination - you'd need a 3 or 4 inch lift minimum!

I'm sure someone can do a better photoshop of the concept with larger wheels as well!

Cheers

Bennie