Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 front struts fit EA81 ?

jono

I tried the search function and did not find the answer for above question.

Will A82 4WD struts just go directly in a 4WD EA81 front end without modifiactaions etc ?

I am thinking retain EA81 hubs where strut bolts up, retain EA81 top mount and just shove EA82 struts in place.

Surely someone has asked and proved one way or another before me.

Answers appreciated...and if I try said swap and get news, will share :)

great ! thanks for speedy reply on this one.

next question  road going or off road only ? If road going, did it alter tyre wear at all, change height or did you kep same springs in car on swap?

Been thinking the EA82 thre stud top mounts would be an improve, just as long as the hole in top of tower allows for same 'towards the rear of hole mounting position' as towards the front is for 2WD. Was not sure if hole was really even same size.

I trust you added reinforcement washers to new holes in top of tower then ?

again, thanks - you may have saved me spending - got some old but better EA82 struts laying about :)

I drove it everyday on the road. I actually used adjustable ones, and cranked them up a little too. It didn't bother tire wear too bad, it was lifted a little over an inch I'd say at that time. I don't think the struts themselves will add much lift. I used the EA82 strut assembly with spring and all. No, I didn't add any reinforcement washers actually. I used flat washers with lock washers and cranked them down tight. Never had an issue, and it got tested too.

Great feedback ...now, one question remains a little unanswered - whether the tops are interchangeable on the struts themselves, as I plan to fit EA82 struts to the EA81 strut tops. Will soon find out as I make my way through little tasks in the way :(

RIGHT - partially answered now - you know how many things on EA82 are beefed up versions of MY stuff and won't fit without some extra effort ??

Well, same deal here.EA81 MY stuff is M10 (thank Fuji for edit button :0 )threads x 2 on top mount to tower, EA82 is M8 x 3 top mount to tower for th studs and the strut top centre bolt is again next size up from EA81, so....EA81 top mount would need either drilling out and you lose the flat within the hole to tighten nut up against or tossing :)

One handy item is that one of the towers holesfrom both my 'looks', and only looks ! correct distance from centre so you would think - then two new extra holes to be drilld in the tower to take EA82 bearinged top mounts. I can see self using already fitted EA81 strut top nut to make a scriber to make a circle scribe on tower top to start determine where these two holes need go, plug up old other hole , paint over and nobody know !!

From more looking, if you were to use the front most hole of the two on an EA81 tower and use that position to determine the location of the rear two holes to take an EA82 top mount, to me, it looks like you are closer to assuming the VAN and FWD position of the top moun rather than the 4WD position. Remember, the EA81 top mount is a two model affair, sit it one way for 4WD and the mount sits to the rear of the oblong oval shaped hole, or flip it 180 degrees and it sits most forward in the FWD and VAN position !

This flip flop of the top mount was not carried into the EA82 range

Looks like a little trimming of EA82 mount plate would be need to centre it as best as in an EA81 tower ....

Edited by jono

thinking out loud to myself again, and a few others..... now, if bratman applied the 'everything is opposite' between EA81 and EA82 body design, you may have installed the top mounts with one bolt hole of the three to the rearmost original EA81 hole, made two new ones line along the front, whereas EA82 had the one hole at front, two along the rear - for better strength, or just a flip of the yen in the engineers back room ?? Using instal this way would avoid some issues raised above.

Well, while some of you were drifting off to sleep - I shot off in the heat of the day to a wrecking yard (rare breed these days) where I was sure to find a Brumby been sitting about last eight years or so, and thre it was, up above an MY wagon, with struts already removed , just waiting for me to try fit an EA82 top mount. Having removed the three M8 slined studs earlier made it all a lot easier to see - it fits just so nicely in the one stud at the back, two at the front fitment.

The plan will be to fit the two front studs back in the mount and drill out remaining hole to do an M10 bolt and nut combo to retain the tight fit in the hole in the EA81 strut tower.

From holding the EA82 mount up under where it is supposed to go is hell easier than guessing from above with EA81 mount stil in there.

All I need to do now is make up or source the crescent shaped washers to replicate factory for the top side :)

thanks for reading.

ahh...thanks for keeping this topic full of inspiration bratman. A lot of thought brings me to conclusion that you installed as per a FWD would require it, the centre of the strut more forward - a very tiny change in the big scheme of engineering, but I wonder what benefits each model has with the different positioning
?? Time to consult a good manual I have .....

it just says to take care to note the instal direction for the vehicle type.There are three different sets of camber, castor (which have no adjustment- read only ) and toe in in the wheel alignment specs ! Yet only two ways the top mount can be installed !

Edited by jono

OK.

I'd best keep findings together in this thread. Using other threads to extract info.

I have found that an EA82 strut top on its own, will fit any direction in its three holes - well the test board did anyway.

BIG BUT is that the factory manual does not explain to mark top mount as it is removed, yet another manual does, and for good reason.

The strut mount has a certain angle built into it, as does an MY strut mount.

SO, due to this reason alone, the strut top should be mounted only same way as it is in EA82 / L Series bodies one hole to front, two to the rear (and they may not be in a straight line across both studs of both left and right !? I need to check this first.

And I need to check the built in incline of the strut top mount to ensure the high side between two studs goes to the rear and not the inner side

anyone know ??

So, to install an EA82 tri stud strut mount in place of an EA81 two stud strut mount - looks cleanest and easiest to install using the original front stud hole (as bratman18 believes he did)  of the EA81 body for template guide, and accept that the 4WD one day AWD will be set up as Fuji intended a FWD to be, in the forward position of the tower elongated hole, and not the rearward 4WD position.

Wondering just what difference there is in geometry theory that I am playing with.

Will I likely get better on road handling, and harsher off road ?

So far, one EA81 strut is out and the strut top mount bearing is as stiff as, needs a good soak at least to revitalise it.

Edited by jono

Was out in the garage yesterday wrenching on the '88 Wagon and recalled this thread.

There is definitely differences in how the 3 studs go in the strut tower as far as angles go.

Outer rear stud is higher than the front stud, rear inside stud is lowest of all 3.

Now I'm wondering if I installed the XT6 struts in the correct orientation. I just stuffed them in where they go and put the nuts on.

Struts from the XT6 spent some time sitting around before I installed them. Strut top could very easily have been turned from being moved around the garage.

edited to correct stud height differences, had 'em wrong

Edited by TomRhere

thanks for adding your observations. Yes, I wonder if the shape of the strut mount continues to contribute an angle of camber ? to the strut. I don't think the mounts angles are to counter the orientation of the tower levels.

More persevering today with emery paper I think. Another post I made has a few successful EA82 struts mounted to EA81 hub assemblies. I need to look from a different perspective maybe ?

Edited by jono

and in here to tell that I have measured in a more technical method than before - used pencil marks and steel rule :)

There is a 2mm difference in height on one stud.

A moment ago in the other thread, I theorised the front position for this one, now, after a few moments, I can also think maybe outer rear

?????

From the mouth of a Subie Dealers Employee of the Year !!

Before he got his second HNY beer !!

Remove rubber cap from top side, centre of L Series strut mount.

get a rule or straight edge.

prepare to take a max of three measures off the top of the central
rubber ring that just removed cap from. Sweep across, flat, towards each
of the three mount to body studs.

Between these points is the top of a square lump of rubber looks a bit
like a castle from a castle nut (aka axle nut with castles for split
pin)

One of these three castles has less clearance than the other two.

Odd one out is the one to the front hole body to mount !!

Gee's, that was close, nearly resorted to f :)

Edited by jono