Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.5 Legacy, low oil pressure mystery

Car has 275000 miles on it, had worn bearings so much it was causing some knocking. Just rebuilt the engine a week ago. The only issue at the time was that the fuel purge solenoid got broken. Replaced that and the CEL went away. Came back on after a drive or two with a misfire on cylinders 2 and 4 both. Pulled the covers off and discovered it was out of time by a tooth (assuming it jumped timing, so planning to get a new tensioner already), pulled off the valve cover on that side to be certain we had tightened down the cam caps and they were good. Between a too loose oil pressure sending unit (it's been tightened now) and taking off the valve covers, I lost a little over a half quart of oil. Topped it back up and started it up and the oil light is coming on.

Now here's the mystery - it doesn't SOUND like it has low oil pressure.

The question: Does anyone know a good way for me to check the oil pressure with a gauge? Maybe a compression tester? Or do I just have to disconnect the coil, remove the sending unit, and crank it to verify that it makes a mess?

Thanks.

Remove the sending unit and connect a guage there in its place.

It's a Metric thread so you do need a BPT thread adapter to connect most guages. A NPT thread adapter will not work.

I've threaded an NPT 1/8th pipe thread gauge in for testing.

Grabs about 2 1/2 threads......So it doesn't damage the threads, I don't crank it totally tight. It will leak a tad at the base, but still should register near 100 psi at start up.