Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 XT6 Power Steering Problem

On the way home from getting a new battery installed in my 89 XT6 I stopped to drop off a UPS package.  Leaving the UPS store parking lot to go home I lost my power steering.  Very hard to turn wheels.  The Steering warning light came on.  I was only couple miles from home so carefully started that way.  Couple blocks down the road the power steering came back and warning light went out?

Got home popped the hood to check what I could.  Belts were tight. The power steering fluid was little low.  Was getting dark so went in the house.

I assume when the warning light comes on it is an electrical problem?  What do I look for tomorrow.

Also, need to add little fluid.  I purchased some Pentosin CHF 11S power steering fluid (oil for central-hydraulic systems recommended by BMW/Mini) for my 2005 Mini Cooper few months ago.  Will it be okay to top the fluid off with this? 

Another dumb question:  Do I need any external equipment to use the self-diagnosis system? 

Thanks,

Bill in Florida

The power steering pump is powered by an electric motor. More than likely the problem is the motor just needs new brushes. I won't use anything but the Subaru power steering fluid. You can still get it from a dealer. This is a very common failure/repair for the power steering. 

Edited by john in KY

1. XT6 power steering systems had a recall issued by Subaru - look for a single light blue wire running across the back of the engine bay from center to a bare two (or three) row connector above the drivers side strut tower.  look for that light blue wire to verify the recall has been done.

2, the brushes normally need replaced and internals cleaned up.  follow that link above.

3.  the power controller sometimes goes bad - the triangular black box thing located centrally under the windshield/back of engine bay.

Thank all for your responses!!!  Great help.  I think I will be able to remove the brushes and clean or replace them. I ordered the correct fluid from a Subaru Dealer in Jacksonville....

If not too difficult I thinking  I should change the fluid.  With 160,000 miles and not knowing the history probably  needs changing? 

Don't forget to check my 70/80's parts on eBay:  www.ebay.com/usr/w4wx I add new parts each weeks. 

Thanks again!

Billy G. in North Florida