Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help to identify part name - rear differential mount (1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22)

Hi!

So, I have a rather big problem with my car: Somehow my brother managed to broke the driver side of the rear mounter / subframe / crossmember / whatever which holds the rear differential in place. So now the differential is some centimeters lower on the driver side and is completely out of angle. And in fact I think it's only holding in place by the exhaust pipe, I have to check that in a private garage the next days. Don't ask about the noise and the drive feeling... I don't know how he managed to come home at all.

So, what's the name of that broken part? My English is not good enough to know that special word (and in fact I don't know the name in German, too). It's the big rusty metal plate seen in this photo (not mine of course): http://s306.photobucket.com/user/wdub180/media/subaru/2012-07-16185023.jpg.html

I can't find it in the service manual I have - or I din't look at the right place. Which parts are identical? Only gen1 Legacy or other Subaru cars as well? Perhaps someone has a part number?

And another question: Is that part known to brake by rust some times?

THANKS!

I'm thinking you're talking about the rear cross-member.

Number 4 in this picture http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_9/suspension_and_axle/rear_suspension/

The diagram in the link is for a second gen, but the gen I & II are basically the same underneath.

The rear crossmember is known to rust out and break, especially in areas where salt is used on the roads in winter.

Thanks! That's exactly the part.

Good to know that these rot away... Couldn't imagine that until yesterday. The bad thing is that I parted three Legacys in the last 1.5 years but of course I didn't take out that rear crossmember :(

Does the one from an Impreza also fit? One guy told me so, but I want to be sure before buying a car...