Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trip Meter stuck at 0..Any tips?

So I got some gas today, went to reset my trip odometer, engine was running but car was NOT moving, and the thing is stuck at 0000! I hear a soft click every 1/10 of a mile but the tenths 0 on the meter is not moving. Is this one of those things that may be able to loosen up by repeatedly pushing the reset button? Think it's just something binding up? The speedometer and regular odometer works fine- I've tested it already. It's just the little trip odometer. This is an '88 DL Wagon, 2WD, 246K miles. It always been a tad tough to get to reset via that shaft, but it's never been flat out stuck and not worked. There isn't much resistance on the shaft when I push it in. If I push the button in while moving, it does not click. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated!

Edited by subaru1988

Thanks! Man, I sure hope the thing will get unstuck on it's own. The last digit on it isn't 0'ed, it's in between a few numbers. As I said, the speedometer and the regular odometer work fine. I don't know about Subaru, but on other cars, taking the cluster apart seems like an awful lot of work just to replace that thing  :( I use it sometimes, but I pay more attention to the actual odometer, which works fine. Hopefully I can get by for a while with it not working and I really hope it won't affect the main odometer.

Edited by subaru1988