Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That's tracking down, not taking down... stupid phone keyboards.

98 GT 5 speed, 250k miles.

About 8 months ago, I had all 3 u-joints replaced on my driveshaft. About that same time, I started to get a vibration in the car. So I took the driveshaft back, and had them check the balance on it.

Both my sets of tires (winter and summer) were on their last season as well. So after having the shop check the driveshaft, I attributed the vibration to the tires. I recently had the winter tires replaced. After that, I still had a vibration, so I took the driveshaft in again to have it rechecked. This did not eliminate the vibration. I had the tires rechecked 2 days ago, and this still has not fixed the vibration.

I rotated the tires to see if it changes anything, which it did not. While I was raising the car to rotate tires, I checked the wheel bearings and axle shafts. I could find no discernible problems with either. The only thing I noticed was a bit of fore-aft play in the trailing arm bushing when I was tightening the wheels.

The vibration has been a rumble in the whole car, and not a steering wheel shake. The vibration comes on around 50mph, and subsides around 70mph. If it's cold (like 20-30F), and the car has been sitting, it will sometimes start closer to 45mph.

Any thoughts on what to look at next?

Edited by Speedwagon
  • Like 1

I had a similar issue in my 90. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I went through a large mud puddle and had my CV seize up. I replaced both front CVS and the vibrations gone. Similar symptoms no steering wheel shake, no clicking, play, nothing. First time ive seen a CV fail this way.

It does seem weird that it started after the driveshaft was rebuilt though. Any sighns of tourque bind?

i also have the same issue on my 96. when i got it it had 2 new aftermarket axles in front with NO ROLL pins. the pass side was clicking even though it was looking brand new so i replaced with a stock old used one.clicking gone .question? i thought the center shaft ujoint were not replacable? i can see pressing them out but how do u center the new ones and hold them in place?

My GFs 95 has a similar issue.

The rear u-joint on the driveshaft went bad. Had a vibration at 40 and 80.

Replaced the u-joint now it has a vibration/ rumble between 50-70. Removed the rear half of the driveshaft and it went away.

Unfortunately you can't just remove the driveshaft on a MT because it won't go anywhere. (It'll go, just not very well)

I'd suggest finding a used driveshaft to try on it.